Shampooing your furry friend.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Pocs, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I have since my boys were puppies used a combination of standard dog shampoo and baby wash. Something my vet at the time suggested to help with matting, which overly furry dogs tend to have regardless of brushing. It has work great and still does, with the possibilities of allergies I may have to change my shampoo. Any suggestions?

Pocs, Aug 5, 2012
  2. Pocs

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Let me know what you find. I have almost always used your standard dog shampoo for fleas but the last two washes I used baby wash and their fur is so much softer and they actually dried quicker (which is important for Kotton in the winter)

pugskjj, Aug 6, 2012
  3. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

Which part are you thinking you'll need to change...the dog shampoo itself or the baby wash?

For the former, I hear that using dish detergent like Dawn is really good. It cuts any grease and grime without too many harsh chemicals.

Jessi, Aug 7, 2012
  4. Pocs

Oh Jessi I forgot all about that tip! Have you tried it yet? I have 2 dogs that will find every patch of dirt/mud in my back yard and one of them is white :mad: I use Dawn so maybe I will try it when I bathe them later this week.

pugskjj, Aug 7, 2012
  5. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have! I always associate it with oil spills. They use Dawn to clean up the baby animals and save them. So I figure if they can do it for that, I can use it on a dog, right?

Jessi, Aug 7, 2012
  6. Pocs

This is so true, I can't believe I didn't make the connection because they still play those Dawn commercials here of the baby ducks being washed...I want one so bad LOL

pugskjj, Aug 7, 2012
  7. Pocs

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

I've used baby wash with my Pommy several times and he seems to enjoy it. I like it because of the no tears formula plus it doesn't have an overly strong scent. There was a time when I put some flea medicine on him that didn't do anything but attract fleas. When I called the vet about it, they told me to wash him in Dawn to remove all of the oils from the medicine and then I could apply a different kind. Just don't use Dawn very much because it does dry out the skin.

There's also a medicated shampoo that you can get from your vet, which helps hot spots.

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 7, 2012
Ask a Question