Shaking Head Syndrome In Dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by IcyBC, Feb 16, 2016.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

About two months ago, Capone, 1 1/2 years old mixed dog, experiences this shaking head syndrome. He was laying next to us on the couch and suddenly his head started shaking, like when we get really cold and just shaking. At first we didn't realized that he has whatsocalled Idiopathic head tremors so we just asked him what was wrong. Of course, he couldn't answer, but his shaking stopped.

Then one night he had this shaking again, and this time it was worst. He slept with my oldest son that night and my son was ready to take him to emergency but Capone stopped again soon after. Upon looking up, my son found out that he has Idiopathic head tremors, and you could read it here: http://ohmydogblog.com/2013/07/idiopathic-head-tremors-2/

We read many articles and they said that there is no cure. All we can do is to distract his attention and giving him simple commands.

Have you heard of this illness/disease, or know anyone with dogs who have experienced this?

IcyBC, Feb 16, 2016
  2. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That happened to Barbie, our youngest dog that is 3 years old. Last December, she was continually shaking her head. That went on up to next day and suddenly the pattern had changed. We didn't know that she had anal sac disease - that painful swelling in the rectum. The vet said that the days when Barbie was shaking her head means she had a headache that was a prelude to that anal problem.

But when there is a tick in our dog's ear, it is a natural reaction for them to shake their head vigorously.

Corzhens, Feb 22, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I never heard about this illness before. It's awful that there is no way to cure it:( Poor Capone:( I hope it doesn't cause any pain.
    My Homer shakes his head only when his hair is wet.

claudine, Feb 22, 2016
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Whoa..there is such a thing as anal sac disease? That is terrible! How do you solve the problem?

Capone shakes his head once in a while, but nothing was like when he experience the tremors. The shaking was like when someone has seizure or Lou Gehrig's disease, not a normal side-to-side shaking. The only thing that comforts me is that it didn't cause him any pain.

Here is a video on YouTube showing the dog that has the tremor:

IcyBC, Feb 22, 2016
  5. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Oh, I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks a lot for letting us know and so sorry to hear your Capone is experiencing it :( I have never seen a dog going this, but I can imagine how scary it must be to see your dog experiencing this, specially the first time. Because you are clueless.

Trellum, Feb 22, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Wow. I never heard about this. What's going to be done to stop it? I guess based on all the information I read if it becomes too much of a problem you'll have to visit the vet. The article you linked to kept saying you should remain calm. I have to confess if I did not read this today and had seen it I would have been quite a mess.

Winterybella, Feb 22, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

@IcyBC, it's really sad because that anal sac disease occurred after Christmas. Barbie kept shaking her head because of a headache as a side effect of that anal problem which, the vet said, was very painful. Barbie would yelp or sometimes scream while running away. On the 3rd day of that sickness, Barbie couldn't use her hind legs anymore. I felt devastated because I thought she was suffering from something else - paralysis. And the vet assured me that it was just anal sac disease, the pain blocks Barbie's movement of her hind legs. Fortunately, before the New Year, Barbie got well.

There is no cure for the anal sac disease, it is just like a boil that will go away in a matter of days. Pain reliever didn't seem to work for her.

Corzhens, Feb 28, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@claudine @Trellum and @Winterybella I have never heard of idiopathic head tremors and thought it was something new he is doing at first, then once it happened again and he can't seem to control it, my son got panic and wanted to take him to the vet in the middle of the night. However, he decided to look it up and found out that it was normal in some breeds.

I went as far as researching for the cause, but can only pinpointed to one area why Capone has this shaking head syndrome. It has to do with the lack of nutrients. Capone went through a period of time of not eating while we were moving, he only took bites here and there but didn't finish his bowl of food like usually.

I took this theory to heart, and made sure that he eats twice a day as before. It only took a couple of days and now he didn't have a head tremor since that awful night.

@Corzhens I feel so bad for your Barbie and living in pain like that for a few days is terrible for her. Poor poochy! Hopefully in this advance technology days, they will have something to help her with this disease.

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  9. IcyBC

@IcyBC That is awesome! So glad to read that he is getting better! So it was all about food? Why wasn't he eating so well? I'm guessing it was because he was adjusting to his new environment? I'm happy for you :) It feels so great when something that you think that might be serious is solved with something as simple as eating well :)

Trellum, Feb 28, 2016
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He lost his appetite with the chaos of moving to a new home. He only ate when he was starving and I kept his food bowl out. I let nature takes its course, but then I had to intervened and made him eat by adding a bit of his treat or human food in his bowl. Now, I just make sure that he eats twice a day.

I am hoping and praying that it was all about not getting enough food in his body! Can't afford an emergency of any kind at the moment.

IcyBC, Mar 5, 2016
  11. IcyBC

I hope so too, but it hasn't happened ever since, right? So I guess it's safe to assume it was the food :) I'm glad about that, because I totally understand what you mean with not being able to afford an emergency right now. We love our pets, but sometimes well, its just not possible to afford such a thing :(

Trellum, Mar 5, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum So far he didn't have any tremors. I just make sure he eats and if he didn't eat, I put some chicken broth in his bowl of food, and he chowed it down faster than I can say "eat your food".

I hate to think when something happens what would I do for him, but right now, I provide the best life for him as much as possible. He is loved and treated as a member of the family. Cross my fingers that nothing goes wrong for a long long while!

IcyBC, Mar 13, 2016
    claudine likes this.
  13. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I think everything will be fine:) Capone seems healthy and very happy. He has a great appetite, which is a very good sign. Try not to worry IcyBC.
    Do you give him vegetables? My Homer loves snacking on carrots, salad and other heathy little treats.

claudine, Mar 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

remnant Well-Known Member

I have not heard of idiopathic head tremors and it is good to learn about it. It is good to learn that it is not infectious. The diseases of canines and felines are poorly grasped and only when a zoonotic strikes do people improve on their knowledge. I have had the occasion of watching a favourite pet die from rabies. To this end, it is always good to vaccinate against it.

remnant, Mar 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  15. IcyBC

Oh my I totally get you! i'm glad this is working for you though, I hope Capone continues feeling well and he doesn't need to go to the vet to get ER treatment or something like that (like he almost did when your son first noticed). I do think that if you keep him well fed he will be ok :)

Trellum, Mar 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  16. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't think many dog owners even know about idiopathic head tremors, until it happened to their dog. It is like watching your loved ones going into seizure and not knowing how to stop it or help it. I couldn't believe there is such thing as idiopathic head tremors until my son looked it up online.

As for shots! He is all up-to-date and has all that he must have.

IcyBC, Mar 19, 2016
Ask a Question