Selling Mutts

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Active Member

First there were people attempting to create new breeds in a genuine way. Then there was the rush to have fun creating 'designer dogs' aka two purebreds that were intentionally bred together and given a fancy name. Now it seems there is a rash of people wanting to breed their dogs, of whatever breed to whatever breed, and charging a fee for them.

Now, don't get me wrong. Giving puppies away for free went by the wayside when you ended up with unknown fates like becoming bait dogs or irresponsible people in our disposable minded society thinking a dog is worth whatever it was they paid for it, i.e, if they got it for free, it had no true value when it comes to investing in decent feed, vet care, etc. Intentionally breeding mutt puppies so you can make some money off of them, and no other reason, is ridiculous.

I partially blame the slew of dog rescues who feel justified in selling puppies and dogs. Yes, selling. I don't consider those exorbitant prices most of them are charging to be 'adoption fees'.

I'm also not saying this prejudice applies to all breeders of intentional 'mutts'. There could be exceptions; as in a terrier I happen to own. She is 13 now but I purchased her at a UKC dog show. Her parents, both terriers, were both World Champion squirrel dogs. I still only paid $75 for her.

Are you as tired as I am of seeing all these classified ads selling mutts?

Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think it's wrong at all for the dog rescues to ask for an adoption fee... those places have a hard time staying afloat, because a dog rescue requires a lot resources. They do need to get that from somewhere, they take care of those dogs, feed them, treat them of whatever disease they might have... they need to get money from somewhere, those fees are charged for a reason.

As for people selling mutts... I dislike breeders of any kind. I hate the fact people are making their dogs breed, creating more dogs... and making this problem bigger. I wish people din't buy those mutts :(

Trellum, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Janet Ford

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am sick and tired of seeing ads about mutts for sales! Some of these mutts also sounds very ridiculous and this sort of thing should be banned or at least regulated somehow.

As for shelter and rescue organizations, I confessed that the fees they asked for did put me off and were so much more than I can afford. I agree on coming to my home to check it out, and going through rigorous training to be a good owner, but charging a large fee for adoption wasn't enticing at off. They should ask for a DONATION, but it should be of FREE WILL, especially if the adopter has passed all their test. After all, isn't it about giving the dog a home and avoid being euthanized?

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
Ask a Question