Seizure Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by OhioTom76, Sep 8, 2012.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Here's a good article on Seizure Dogs:

http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1084289240

I've been reading about this from time to time because I started having seizures a couple years ago. It's pretty fascinating if dogs are in fact able to sense this. I know my oldest dog used to know any time I was feeling sick, she would always lay next to me the whole time, as opposed to when I was just laying down to take a nap or something.

I'm kind of curious on how they would even train a dog to respond to this. I've had about 7 seizures over the past couple of years, and I'm starting to learn the signals when I feel one coming on. But considering how they only happen from time to time, that's certainly not enough times to teach a dog about them.

OhioTom76, Sep 8, 2012
  2. OhioTom76

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I would think they're able sense changes in the way you smell, and associate the fits with that. They're capable of sensing the SLIGHTEST alteration in the scent you give off, which is why they can sense fear, happiness and upset, etc. I suppose it would depend very much on when your body is going to go into seizure, and if the dog would have enough time to warn you. I think I'd be more inclined to seek a dog to do a specific thing when you're in the throes of a seizure, perhaps to press a panic button on the wall if you have one, lay behind you or something to stop you going onto your back and being in danger of swallowing your tongue, or hitting your head.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 9, 2012
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I didn't know that we give off different smells depending on our mood or during a seizure. I could see myself eventually getting another dog again if I can find one trained for this.

OhioTom76, Sep 9, 2012
  4. OhioTom76

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Oh yes, we really do. How do you think animals sense fear and such? Our body temperatures rise and fall depending on our mood and emotional state, and that's how animals we own, know when to offer comfort or keep away if we seem angry. It's definitely something I'd love to see, dogs trained to help people who suffer seizures and the like. We already have dogs to help the blind, so it stands to reason that they could be trained to help people in other situations.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 10, 2012
  5. OhioTom76

zararina Well-Known Member

It was amazing and interesting how dogs could sense things or situations like that. They are really much sensitive than us and it is great that they could really help and be a good companion.

zararina, Sep 11, 2012
  6. OhioTom76

Jessi Well-Known Member

That part I knew. I didn't know about *smelling* different, though, or that it was linked to a difference with seizures either. That's really interesting.

Jessi, Sep 11, 2012
Ask a Question