Scratching at the Door

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by argon_0, Jul 29, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Now this is probably very common. Your pooch scratches or paws at the door to come in. Mishka will usually do it just once and wait and that's usually enough to know she wishes to come in or out. The problem is our white painted door has a bald paint strip on both sides with a muddy appearance.
    Does your furry-kid:) do this or do you prevent it from happening?

argon_0, Jul 29, 2012
  2. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

So far so good. No one needs to scratch the door to be let in. As for going out, they just wait for me to get ready when it's time.

Victor Leigh, Jul 29, 2012
  3. argon_0

Pocs Well-Known Member

I don't have a scratching issue and never had to break the boys of it. For whatever reason Gizzy would just go sit next to the door and bark to go out. When Gix came along he just started doing it from copying Gizzy.

Pocs, Aug 14, 2012
  4. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer barks too when he wants me to open the door for him. He scratches only when he has a toy or a cone in his mouth. Maybe don't react when your dog is scratching? Maybe then she'll get impatient and she'll try to bark.

claudine, Aug 24, 2012
  5. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, he does. The only real prevention for us is to not shut the doors. He doesn't do it from outside.... only when he's inside and wants into a door where someone is and has it shut. Often times we'll just leave it mostly closed, but ajar enough that if he starts to nudge the door, he can open it himself.

Jessi, Aug 24, 2012
  6. argon_0

nikki Well-Known Member

Yes you can get paneling that is scratch resistant. They even make plastic edging. should solve your problem somewhat.

nikki, Aug 27, 2012
  7. argon_0

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

My Pommy scratches my doors too to let me know he wants in, but he doesn't do it very much (thankfully). Usually just a scratch once will do it and he just waits for me. If I don't let him in then he starts barking, which although it's better on the door, it doesn't really help the situation. I admit that I give up and let him in to keep him quiet and happy. I know I shouldn't do that. When I first got him I would spray him with a water/vinegar solution (just a bit not much) and tell him no. That worked for a while, but when we moved I felt sorry for him and broke the training. :( Looks like we'll have to start all over again!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 2, 2012
  8. argon_0

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Ours would jump up and claw at the screen door whenever someone was coming home. We eventually had to get a plastic screen protector and put it on the bottom screen. I hated to do that because they couldn't really see easily through it, but we couldn't keep replacing screens like that.

OhioTom76, Sep 27, 2012
  9. argon_0

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

My dog does a short scratch and you know its her. She does it for maybe one second and it's usually two scratches. It's almost like she's knocking!

pilot2fly, Sep 28, 2012
  10. argon_0

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My dogs does this all the time. I think it's his way of knocking and I think it's adorable. My door is also starting to look bad at the bottom - as my dog is really small. I don't prevent it from happening because after a while, he's learned that if I don't answer the door then he is not allowed to come into the room. I think it's a good method of him understanding when I am busy and when I am not. Plus, it's totally adorable when guests are over :D

bellahpereira, Oct 16, 2012
  11. argon_0

I wish we could get Trixie to do that. She will scratch for a few minutes then finally gives up if I don't want her to come in. I usually say no and it helps, but not always.

pilot2fly, Oct 17, 2012
  12. argon_0

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My dog doesn't understand the word 'no' :p He seems to think it means 'hold on'. lol. He'll knock and if I say 'no', he cries and knocks again. It's adorable. I wish our dog understood though because sometimes he spends half an hour crying and knocking on the door!

bellahpereira, Oct 18, 2012
  13. argon_0

Trixie is sometimes the same way. She will try to get on the couch by coming up and looking at us. When we say no she just stands there. After a minute or two she finally goes and lays back down in her bed.

pilot2fly, Oct 22, 2012
  14. argon_0

pigeon_small Active Member

My dog is on and off about this. He'll go a good long time without scratching or pawing. Then out of the blue he just starts up again. And he'll do it at the worst possible times. Like when we are all asleep!

I have a sneaking suspicion this behavior flares up when our next door neighbors are having a party.

pigeon_small, Nov 6, 2012
Ask a Question