Rude Person = Rude Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 24, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This is an interesting study. I'm not sure I believe the findings. I tend to think dogs choose us more than we choose them. I would agree that the person's behavior will affect how they go about dog training.

Researcher claim that people with "low agreeableness" tended to select dogs with bad manners. The theory is that most of these people don't care what other people thing and they are somewhat suspicious of everyone, so they don't care about their dog's behavior.

The same study disproved the idea that people who have shown delinquent behavior choose aggressive dogs. I guess the idea that if you're a thug, you want a tough dog to go along with your image. Also, they found no connection between choosing an aggressive dog and wanted to prove you social status to prospective romantic partners. I find this one funny. How many people look for romantic partners based on the aggressiveness of their dog?

What do you think of this study? How much do you think the personality of the person affects how the dog turns out?

Melody, May 24, 2012
  2. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

Dogs with bad manners? What I know is dogs can’t be blamed for their act of rudeness. Usually they just follow their master’s lead. And it’s inherent for a dog not to be trusting of people especially those who have bad experience with their previous owner. What I know is their hostile environment taught them how to be aggresive.

As to the topic, well, I agree that people want their dog to counterpart their personality. But whatever the intentional rudeness the dog shows, I’m sure somebody taught it how to act that way.

King Browny, May 25, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Some dogs do infact choose their homes and some people do choose their dogs. And if a dog is chosen just to keep up an image, I wouldn't be surprised if a big guy chose a large scary looking dog. But then sometimes, these dogs can also be surprisingly submissive. Appearances can be deceiving at times.

Maybe "low agreeableness" can also mean that these people have low self esteem. They may think that they aren't worthy of a good dog. After all, an aggressive dog can turn into a calm submissive given proper training and a dose of primal dog behavior.

haopee, May 25, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Their owners can train their dogs to become aggressive and it could also reflect their personality since they would want to have a pet like that.
    But I think if a dog will not be trained and just let him have his traits as he/she grows, he would have better traits than a bad owner. ;)

zararina, May 25, 2012
  5. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

I read that a dog also become aggressive if it is spoiled. See, the dog love to follow orders, being asked, lead or trained to do something. If instead the master act like a dog and treat his dog as the master (babying him all the time, laughing at instead of reprimanding its mean antics, giving it treats instead of disciplining when he want it not to be rude), the dog would be confused about his role and soon enough turn to be ill-mannered and would bite on every people that walk to their home. So it’s not always rude owner that make a rude dog. It’s also the ridiculous and over pampering ones.

King Browny, May 27, 2012
Ask a Question