Rope Toys

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by mkCampbell, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Member

I would love to hear from others that have had issues with dog toys. I wanted to let people know about an issue we had with one of our older dogs. We bought a rope toy with the frayed ends and he got a large piece of the rope stuck between his teeth which cause one of the teeth to break. I'm not trying to be over protective but with some after thought I realized his teeth were probably too old for such a toy. The threads got between his teeth like thick pieces of floss. When we got home he was bleeding from the mouth and in some pain. Just a heads up for those with older dogs and this type of toy. (NOTE: - I attached an image but it was not this brand - just this style of toy.)[​IMG]

mkCampbell, Feb 18, 2015
  2. mkCampbell

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer has a rope toy that looks exactly like the one in the picture. It's very old and dirty, but he still plays with it from time to time. Your post made me worried. Should I throw away that toy? I want my sweetie to be as safe as possible.

claudine, Feb 18, 2015
  3. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Member

I trimmed off all of the loose threads and tried it again with a new one I bought. So far so good. Like I said he was an older dog so I tried to find some new toys that were a bit softer on the gums and teeth. Tell Homer that King says Hi!

mkCampbell, Mar 6, 2015
  4. mkCampbell

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah! So sorry your dog had to go thru that.... poor thing! I hope he is better now, must have been so awful to see him suffer that way :( Anyways, thanks for the info, I'll make sure never get one of those toys... there are better options out there.

Trellum, Mar 6, 2015
  5. mkCampbell

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I hope your dog is doing well now. I see the rope toys all the time but funny enough I have never bought any. I can't even say why. I just haven't. Maybe it's because the ones I see are mostly in the discounted areas and I feel something might be wrong with them.

Winterybella, Mar 6, 2015
  6. mkCampbell

claudine Well-Known Member

I definitely will! Homer says hi too:D
    Trimming of all loose threads sounds like a good idea. There aren't too many of them. Homer's rope toy is bigger than his head, so he hasn't managed to destroy it yet. Most of his toys are too big for him. Usually, he prefers to play with pine cones and sticks.

claudine, Mar 8, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  7. mkCampbell

wahmed Active Member

Ow, poor baby! I think I'm just going to steer clear from now on. That really worriedme. Max loves squeaky toys anyway so I'm in the clear.

wahmed, Mar 11, 2015
  8. mkCampbell

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That was terrible and I am sorry to hear that! I used to buy this rope toy for Capone, and he loved it. It gave him something to play with and chew on until it came loose. Now, he only shredded them apart and made a mess.

IcyBC, Aug 6, 2015
  9. mkCampbell

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Don't ask me why but I bought one some weeks back and it lasted about two days. I think I was just desperate to get something for Ginger and sure enough she destroyed it in no time. Ginger the destroyer. I just left her downstairs and found she was too quite. Checked and she was eating an envelope left in the chair.

Winterybella, Aug 6, 2015
  10. mkCampbell

LaneAlf Member

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your dog, I hope that they're just fine now.
    I haven't bought this type of toys to my dogs before but the first time that I saw them I had this fear, we all know how dogs can be and sometimes they just don't get tired of a toy until it's practically destroyed, and it's obvious to say how dangerous it can be.
    Thanks for sharing, I'll take this one on account.

LaneAlf, Aug 3, 2016
  11. mkCampbell

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That rope toy in the photo is exactly one of the favorite toys of Barbie. But sometimes we lend it to Pipoy, our dog in the cage who is hyperactive. I felt guilty the other night when my husband asked why Pipoy had no toy of his own. Oh, well, okay, I will buy Pipoy his own toy when I have time to go to the pet shop. That rope toy is a good one because the dog can bite it and it is not harmful to their mouth or teeth. Besides, it can be washed or laundered for cleaning. Maybe I have to buy a new pair of rope toys for our 2 small dogs. Our other dog is Tisoy, a spitz who does not care for toys.

Corzhens, Aug 10, 2016
Ask a Question