Retiring The Family Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by teamrose, Oct 10, 2012.

1. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

How do you decide when a dog is feeble enough and sick enough to be put to sleep?

How do you involve the family enough that they get to say good bye but feel none of the blame for the final decision, letting the heavy part fall onto me?

teamrose, Oct 10, 2012
  2. teamrose

Jessi Well-Known Member

I involve the vet. The vet is able to let you know just how much pain he is in. And how much he is suffering. It is no one's fault and no one is to blame. When making the decision, it should be seen as a way to bring him relief instead of continuing to keep him in such pain.

Jessi, Oct 10, 2012
  3. teamrose

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It's a hard decision. We had a dog which was blind for two years and then it had a stroke and could only stumble around. We would tie her to a stake with a long lead and she would walk around in circles.We had to do this so she wouldn't stumble everywhere.
    It was so sad to watch that it was easy enough when we were ready and to say goodbye. :(

argon_0, Oct 11, 2012
  4. teamrose

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I've learned to see the little signs, and when one our fuzzies went into a decline last year, I was the one who took him over the road to our vet. My partner was at work, and after a night of my being up and watching him because I knew his time was near, I made the decision. He was OLD. Old for his breed, and I knew that even though the problem he had could be fixed, he'd have to go under a general anaesthetic, and he'd not survive it. That would have killed him. So I took him over, and held him whilst they ended his suffering.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 11, 2012
  5. teamrose

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It's always hard to decide the right time. :( The man who delivers my gas bottles took his dog to a vet for treatment and the cost was $1200. He was okay with that but a couple of weeks later took the dog to another vet who was new in town and much closer. The result was, it was advised to put the dog to sleep. It may be, that if your unsure, don't be afraid to get a second opinion. :confused:

argon_0, Oct 11, 2012
  6. teamrose

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Its a hard decision to make, but sometimes you have to make it because its what's best for the dog. Yes, we love our dogs, but if they are suffering and have seen some of mine suffer you know that its time to let them go. We have had to do it more then once in my family, and believe me you know when that time has come. Sometimes you do need a Vet to confirm it because you don't want to admit the truth to yourself, bur when the time comes for your dog to be put down you know it.

pafjlh, Oct 11, 2012
  7. teamrose

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Never had to do this, but I can only imagine how tough of a decision that would be. With all three of our dogs they were fortunate to not have any major health issues towards the end of their lives that had them suffering, they passed away peacefully in our presence. In fact one of them took a road trip with me and was feisty as ever a few days before she passed.

OhioTom76, Oct 12, 2012
  8. teamrose

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

I don't think I could even think about that. We all love Trixie so much. I know she's getting old, but I think she has a couple of more years in her.

pilot2fly, Oct 12, 2012
  9. teamrose

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

You have only to look in their eyes. If what you see is exhaustion and emotional tiredness, then it's time. They don't display pain and discomfort in the same way we do. They end up withdrawn and extremely quiet, and its all in the eyes. You have to remember it's not how YOU feel about it that matters, it's how THEY feel, and if they're at the point where just breathing is painful, you'll need to make the last step.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 13, 2012
  10. teamrose

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

That is much easier said than done. I think most people agree that even thinking about the decision is painful. I can understand not wanting them to be in pain, and we'd do anything for our dog. But I don't think we'd ever put her down unless she was beyond disrepair (I mean that in a physical sort of way).

pilot2fly, Oct 13, 2012
  11. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

How do you decide when a dog is feeble enough and sick enough to be put to sleep?

We decided when he seems to be in pain, feeling bad, uncomfortable, unhappy, and there isn't anything that gives him relief.

Or . . .

When you and the family have recognized the above and had time to fully process the fact that you can't help him any more, and are able to let him go, no matter how badly you wish you could keep him.
    You have to get the family involved enough that they get to say good-bye. Ask them how they think the dog feels now? How they feel when they look at the dog?

I finally put down my beloved dog this month. She was almost 19. She had been old for a long time already, but she ate and slept (alot) and her bark seemed content. Then she became lethargic, and then she stopped eating. Her kidneys had given out. I wanted to try everything, so we gave her subcutaneous fluids (which she took well) and force-fed her (which she did not want). It took about a week for me to come to terms with the fact that she was not going to get better, that she had reached the end of her life, and there was no way I could save her. Once I accepted that, I made the appointment to give her an easy exit.

There's no easy way. I'm sorry.

teamrose, Oct 14, 2012
  12. teamrose

megsy23 Member

We had to put down our 12 year old dachshund last year due to a stroke. The vet advised it as he would only live for a few days and it would be very painful for him. It's a rough decision. However, a vet would never suggest that unless it was absolutely necessary or extremely expensive and the outcome would not be good.

megsy23, Oct 14, 2012
  13. teamrose

Jessi Well-Known Member

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about yours, team. I'm glad you tried to save her, but at that point, it sounds like it was time to let her go. You did everything you could.

Megsy, I'm glad you didn't decide to put your dog through those few painful days. I know it hurt to put him down, but I had a friend who made the opposite decision. She couldn't stand to let hers go because she was in so much emotional pain.... but the dog suffered so much until he finally passed it was. It was horrifying to watch. :(

Jessi, Oct 14, 2012
Ask a Question