Reba - the protector

Discussion in 'Meet My Dog' started by Winterybella, May 20, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

So some of you have met my girls Zola, Remy and more recently Ginger. They hang out with me indoors and I am always sharing some story about them.

Then there is my Queen Reba who spends most of her time outdoors taking care of all us. Sometimes I feel like she is the Outsider in more ways than one and I am not thrilled about that. Today she is having some indoor time with me. She is loving it as it terribly hot outside. Meet Reba. 20150329_151705_resized_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Winterybella, May 20, 2015
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Zola is beautiful!:) I bet she has a very interesting personality. Most dogs I know aren't outsiders, they hate being alone.
    Homer has been spending most of his time outdoors too lately. He loves our garden.

claudine, May 21, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Oh dear!!!! I made a big mistake. It's Reba the protector! How do I change that. I just keep thinking of Zola so much. How do I correct that? I'd probably have to check with admin about that. Oh dear, Reba does get a bad wrap sometimes.

Winterybella, May 21, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up, I've edited your first post for you :).

Ian, May 21, 2015
  5. Winterybella

Thanks a mill. Someone Zola is always on the lips of everyone. She's special but then again they all are special: there is something unique about each one them. Reba somehow gets ' left out ' more often than not and that bothers me. I've been trying to find ways to get her on the inside more often. and it has been working to some extent. She does not appear destructive but the licks are a bit too much for me. Trying to convince my husband to get her inside permanently is going to be a tall. I should count myself fortunate that he allows the other three to live inside. Most in our culture still believe that dogs are to kept outdoors.

Winterybella, May 21, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  6. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

She is very beautiful :) I knew a friend who had a rottie, They are a breed I really respect and admire, I don't think I could keep up with one though, they're so muscular and strong :O Your Reba looks like such a sweetheart tho :) At least to your family, hehe ;) I remember the story you told me about her barking at people.

Trellum, May 22, 2015
  7. Winterybella

You do remember. She scares them crazy but you might also remember if I told the story here that more than one time she got out of the gate and was just peacefully outside probably enjoying her greater freedom and when I opened my back door , there she was. These days whenever she can get in the house she goes to my bedroom and relaxes on the floor until she goes to sleep. Like clockwork.

The thing about her is that she is big and heavy and loves to lick....the licks are so strong, I can't take it. My son is much better with that kind of thing. The other thing about her is that she is very smart. As they say with dogs as with people, she came from a good family and she has good manners SOMETIMES but very smart. Rotties are not welcomed everywhere and I was reminded of it recently.

Winterybella, May 23, 2015
  8. Winterybella

To be honest, I wouldn't want to own a rottie either. They're too strong. I'm terrible at training dogs, they never listen to me. When Homer bites me, it doesn't hurt much. I bet I couldn't say the same about a rottie.

claudine, May 23, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Claudine, I understand you. Rotties are for a certain type of people who have a strong energy, specially if dealing with male rotties! As you said they are so strong, I've seen what a bad training can do with a rottie. They can be great dogs in the right hands, but not in mine, lol, I don't have the energy ;)

Trellum, May 24, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Yes, sadly rotties have a bad rep thanks to bad owners. I was telling Claudine that in the right hands rotties can make great guardian dogs, but in the wrong ones... well, things might go bad. They're such a strong muscular breed, I could never take on that, hehehe! She sounds like a sweetheart :)

It's good you try to let her spend some time indoors to make her feel better. I'm sure she enjoys it :) And yes, I remember your story, hehehe, how she managed to get out. Did you ever find out how she did that?

Trellum, May 24, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Yes, exactly. I don't have the energy either. The truth is that I'm scared of big dogs like rotties. I know that most of them are very sweet and loving, but they're animals and they're unpredictable. They can be dangerous if you don't train them well.

claudine, May 24, 2015
  12. Winterybella

I had a friend, he is a senior, a doctor from my area. He had a rottie, but he obviously didn't train it well, he was too busy and well a senior. The dog tried to bite the mother in law, she was almost 93 years!!!! He got in the way and end up with a not so deep bite on the chest bone, just a mark. He had to give away the dog, he felt scared after that incident, he could barely stop it :( They're definitely not for everyone.

Trellum, May 24, 2015
  13. Winterybella

This must have been so scary!!! I can't even imagine it:eek::eek::eek: If this happened to me, I'd give away that dog too.
    The truth is that many people shouldn't adopt big and strong dogs. Being an owner of a rottie or any other big breed is such a great responsibility!

claudine, May 24, 2015
  14. Winterybella

You don't want to get a playful bite from Reba. Her plays are rough. My son loves it. Two rough necks together. I know two top breeders in the country and Reba came one them. He's a medical doctor and my husband's friend and he's been breeding them for years. I get the impression, he's more into dogs than his medical practice. His name is synonymous with Rotties.

He sells them for hundreds of dollars but Reba was a gift. Because of a childhood attack I had as a child I still think somewhere in my subconscious I am still a bit uncomfortable but I try to be good with Reba. She is super loving but just so heavy... I have never taken her for a walk as I am afraid I can't control her. I feel awful when I take the others walking and she is left behind. Thankfully I have a large area for her to get her exercise but I can see in her eyes she wants to go walking with us.

That situation with the senior is quite sad.

Winterybella, May 24, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Yeah, if it had been me I'd have done the same! I think that kind of incidents stay in your mind forever! Yes, you are right, I actually don't like it when I see seniors with a rottie, rotties need people with a strong energetic personality and lots of physical energy. I think that is why things like this happen :(

Trellum, May 25, 2015
Ask a Question