Reasons to Foster a Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Jan 30, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Fostering a dog can be a big deal. Its impact in one's life differ from one person to the other. Sometimes, foster parents end up being foster failures (meaning they decided to do more than just foster.)

Here are some reasons you should consider fostering a dog:

1. You're not forced into it. Fostering can happen when you are ready.

2. Fostering can teach you a lot in dog ownership and handling. Information on dog health and grooming are some of the things you get to learn as a foster parent.

3. Fostering can give you a companion even when you're not cut out for a long-term commitment.

4. Aside from the fun, fostering gives you a certain fulfillment.

5. Fostering gives your foster dog a second chance to live a life with others who will give him his forever home.

6. Especially for women, fostering satisfies your nurturing instincts.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Fostering can even change your life in more ways possible.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
    shdws likes this.
  2. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

Great post haopee. I think fostering a dog is a very thoughtful and compassionate thing to do, I'm glad you spelled out all the good reasons to foster a dog.

shdws, Jan 30, 2013
  3. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I'ld never heard about fostering dogs? What does it entail?

argon_0, Jan 31, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Good question.

Fostering is like giving a dog a temporary home until he gets adopted- which should be something you should consider, argon! I understand that you don't want to have another dog after Mishka, but you and your wife seem to be a great couple for doggie adventures.

All you have to do is drop by a reputable shelter/rescue around your locality. Most rescues/shelters happen to promote fostering. Often times, these dogs are already spayed/neutered and vaccinated. As for health conditions, some do have problems which need daily attention while others can have behavioral issues which need rehab. But don't be discouraged, the rewards of fostering is priceless. There are also a lot of dogs out there who are just plain angels that you'll wonder why they were abandoned.

haopee, Jan 31, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think fostering is a wonderful thing, both with dogs and humans.

As for specifically with dogs, it really can save their lives, too. Many pets are going to be put down otherwise, so having a foster family can delay what seems like the inevitable until a real family can come along and help them.

Sometimes it's just great to keep them out of the stress of a busy, rowdy shelter, too. A dog whose owner died, for example, may be old himself and not accustomed to that kind of craziness. The stress can be horrible on them. While it might not be easy moving into a new home, it's certainly better than the alternatives.

Jessi, Jan 31, 2013
  6. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have heard of this type of program. I know that the humane society offers such a program for some of their rescued pets. To place them in foster homes till they can find them a permanent home. I think this is a great idea and will give the dog a much better environment then being cooped up in a shelter. It also no doubt cuts down on the dogs that need to be put down. Which is a another great reason for people to consider taking a foster dog in. I think this also helps people to know if they want to take a dog on a regular basis.

pafjlh, Feb 3, 2013
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Foster families who take care of the dog help in the dog's rehabilitation. Moreover, a foster parent will know exactly the personality of the dog which makes gives him/her a higher chance of being adapted because foster parents can explain what makes this dog special.

One more thing, foster failures happen more often than not.Meaning, a lot of families have ended up adopting the dog eventually. LOL.

haopee, Feb 6, 2013
  8. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

They have a hard time not wanting to after a bit. After you put that much time, energy, and love into a companion like that, it's hard to watch them go to someone else. Even if they originally didn't think they had the time or money to have one full-time, they just can't resist.

Jessi, Feb 6, 2013
  9. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I think it's a lovely thing to do, almost everything is better than a shelter. But I'm pretty sure I'd end up adopting this dog too, I couldn't give him away:p
    Unfortunately, as far as I know, we don't have this type of program here.

claudine, Feb 8, 2013
  10. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure how many of ours allow things like this. I think it's definitely better than nothing, though. Maybe you could call your local shelters and see if they have any foster programs?

Jessi, Feb 9, 2013
  11. haopee

I could - if only I was sure my Homer won't try to attack/kill the other dog. He is so aggressive when he is jealous:( . On the other hand, maybe it would be good for him to have a dog friend?

claudine, Feb 9, 2013
  12. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

How old is here now, Claudine? It can sometimes be difficult to introduce a puppy to an older dog. And if you were to foster an older dog (more likely), that could pit two older dogs against one another. If he's really that aggressive already, it might not be such a good idea.

Jessi, Feb 9, 2013
  13. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to foster. It gives you a chance to save more dogs than if you simply adopted one. Plus it allows the dog to live in a home before he finds his forever home. I wish my dog had been fostered before we got him from the shelter.

MakingCents, Feb 10, 2013
  14. haopee

He is 6 so he is an adult now, he has his habits and I'm pretty sure he won't let other dogs into his territory so I'd be really scared of fights between him and a fostered dog. Homer won't hurt anyone because he is too little but he might get hurt:(

claudine, Feb 10, 2013
  15. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

IF you are going to introduce a new dog. I would suggest finding a trainer who has worked with aggressive dogs before. Have him get to know your Homer for a few sessions. Then he can help you introduce the new dog.

MakingCents, Feb 10, 2013
  16. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice post, very informative. ;)
    I like most the 6th one "6. Especially for women, fostering satisfies your nurturing instincts." :p

zararina, Feb 11, 2013
  17. haopee

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

I have fostered a dog before, it changed my entire life. Unfortunately I fostered one for an organization I dont believe in anymore. When I fostered we had found a good local home, unforutnately the shelter decided to pick a home 6 hours away instead of the one we liked (even though they said we had full say in what happens) and then they decided to adopt her out on the only weekend we werent in town (my poor mom had to tearfully give her away and we didnt have a proper good bye)

It was an amazing thing we did, I dont regret saving that little angels life (she would have been a goner if we didnt, we rescued her from running traffic) and she was deffinitely a part of the family and we loved her dearly and wished we kept her. However, I just wish it went down different. I wouldnt say dont foster, by any means, its an amazing thing to do, just be emotionally prepared for anything that would happen because i could really hurt your feelings

lifeliveson, Mar 22, 2013
  18. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have done this for a number of dogs. There's one particular litter which I remember very well. Same mother, of course, but different fathers definitely because everyone was different. My vet found them abandoned by the roadside. They were hardly weaned. Since my vet already had his hands full, I offered to look after the abandoned puppies. They were really nice little fellows. After about three months when they could manage on their own and eat solid food, I started re-homing them.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2013
  19. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

I have to agree that fostering a pet can be a good idea if you are not sure that you are ready for the responsibility. Sometimes people get dogs and they think the only thing a dog needs is a place to sleep and enough to eat. They don't usually consider the hours you have to put in grooming your dog, exercising him, playing and so on. Fostering is a great middle ground where you can learn and decide if you have the time, energy and patience for a new pet.

trishgl, Mar 23, 2013
Ask a Question