Raw Meat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

I use to give my dog raw meat as a treat when he was younger. But most of the time he is eating Pedigree canned dog food. I was told by the pet shop that I had bought him from that his breeders only fed their dogs raw meat.

Does anyone else still feed your dog raw meat or bones?

JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014
    trinden likes this.
  2. JoshPosh

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't feed my dog raw meat, because I don't want him to get parasites. In my opinion eating raw meat is very risky. Fortunately, Homer loves his dry food and vegetables:)
    As for bones, as far as I know they're dangerous for dogs to eat.

claudine, Nov 11, 2014
  3. JoshPosh

mkCampbell Active Member

I've never really considered it simply because if I'm going to buy some steaks or chicken... then chances are I'm going to grill the wife and I some steaks and chicken. We've been very happy with the dog food we've chosen before and the vet gives us a thumbs up after every visit. We do avoid treats and such made in China after some of the issues with pet health and items made in China.

mkCampbell, Jan 4, 2015
  4. JoshPosh

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I know a big advocate of raw feeding. She would not have it any other way. She honestly swears by it and thinks we are doing are dogs a big injustice by feeding them dry food. She also referred with to some information online which was quite appalling. It related to dry food being produced from the carcasses of other wild animals.

As with everything thing else there appears to be good arguments for and against raw feeding. I am still on the fence.

Winterybella, Jan 8, 2015
  5. JoshPosh

I don't think we're doing our dogs an injustice by feeding them dry food. Good quality dog food is well-balanced, it contains all necessary nutrients:)
    Raw meat isn't healthy.

claudine, Mar 6, 2015
  6. JoshPosh

I am just through chatting with the raw food advocate. She is encouraging me to prepare my own dog treats using a dehydrator which I don't have but am researching. I can't well represent her views but she insist that raw is the best and wants to convert us all. She would go ballistic if anyone said raw was unhealthy:).

Winterybella, Mar 6, 2015
  7. JoshPosh

I was talking about raw meat. In my opinion it's unhealthy, because it often contains parasites. As for raw fruits and vegetables, they make a perfect treat:) Like I mentioned before, my little Homer loves raw carrot. He would do anything to get a carrot slice:)
    Dehydrators aren't expensive. I bought mine in a supermarket.

claudine, Mar 8, 2015
  8. JoshPosh

I reckon you were talking about the meat and that's what my friend has been encouraging along with fruits and vegetables. I do some reading on it from time to time but I am still on the fence. I've tried a bit of it on and off and get mixed reactions from the girls.

Apparently I was looking at the wrong dehydrator. I was looking at the commercial ones which she uses but I found out the smaller ones are quite affordable online. I still think it might be very expensive in my country. I am get to locate one.

Winterybella, Mar 8, 2015
  9. JoshPosh

I hope you'll find a cheap dehydrator. Maybe check online stores? I use my dehydrator mostly for making apple chips. But I don't give them to Homer, because he prefers fresh, juicy apples.

claudine, Mar 9, 2015
  10. JoshPosh

wahmed Active Member

I tend to mix it up, but I prefer raw meat. They are domesticated animals now, but when they were in the wild or even there brothers like hyenas eat meat. If that's what they should naturally eat then I don't see anything wrong with it

wahmed, Mar 11, 2015
  11. JoshPosh

I have done it on the odd occasion but I have to confess it feels really weird as I am not used to it. Then I am always nervous with all this talk about bacteria. I was promised free raw chicken from a local chicken outlet for my dogs but I am not sure if I could get it and feed it raw. I have too many questions to ask
    http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks

Winterybella, Mar 14, 2015
  12. JoshPosh

worldmachine Member

I suppose raw meat is a dog's evolutionary diet, after all that is what they would have eaten before they became domesticated. Racing dogs such as greyhounds and sled dogs are regularly given raw meat as it gives them higher energy levels.

The dangers from raw meat could be from bones that could choke a dog, bacteria which could be passed on to humans and some people say that dogs can become more aggressive if they are fed raw meat.

worldmachine, Mar 18, 2015
  13. JoshPosh

Grimp Member

We are happy to feed our dog standard dog food from a tin and dried dog food as long as it doesnt have gluten in it, I recomend keeping your dog away from eating gluten products as they can develop strange skin rashes!

Grimp, May 13, 2015
  14. JoshPosh

I believe that some dogs are gluten-intolerant.
    Fortunately, my Homer can eat anything:) He loves whole grain bread, it's one of his favorite treats.

claudine, May 14, 2015
  15. JoshPosh

Grimp Member

aww, well my dog, Honey, she is a Shih Tzu. I had to upgrade the kind of food I was giving her so she wasnt eating gluten, I'm glad that she is healthier now, but I have to spend almost twice the amount of money to get her the food she needs xD

Grimp, May 14, 2015
  16. JoshPosh

Gluten-free food is very expensive, I know something about it, because I have Celiac disease myself. From time to time, you could feed Honey rice with meat and vegetables. It would save you some money:) Rice is naturally gluten-free.

claudine, May 14, 2015
  17. JoshPosh

Grimp Member

That does sound like a good posibility, do you ever go to the local butchers and ask them if they have any off-cuts that they dont want? Maybe that would be an uber way to save money! By the way, what breed is your dog, it must be so funny to shout its name in public!

Grimp, May 14, 2015
  18. JoshPosh

Homer is a Yorkshire Terrier:)
    Going to the local butchers and asking them for off-cuts sounds like a great idea!:) My neighbor sometimes does it for her cats.

claudine, May 15, 2015
  19. JoshPosh

superbobby Member

Does a raw meat diet change their behavior? Does it make them more aggressive?

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  20. JoshPosh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I never did, I think my mom did with hers for a while, but never did because I thought raw meat wasn't a good idea. It's way easier to feed them the food they are supposed to eat ;)

Trellum, May 31, 2015
Ask a Question