Raw Chicken

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shdws, Jan 25, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I know it's fine for a dog to eat raw chicken, the question is about the bones in the chicken. I remember reading from a dog expert that raw chicken bone is fine for a dog to eat. The danger apparently is with cooked chicken bone. Any one have an opinion or experience with this?

shdws, Jan 25, 2013
  2. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

This is an interesting topic - is it really fine for a dog to eat raw chicken? He won't get any parasites? I know my Homer would gladly eat some raw meat but I'm scared of giving it to him because I don't want him to be sick:(

claudine, Jan 27, 2013
  3. shdws

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I'm with you claudine. Of course animals in the wild eat raw meat, but our pets systems have evolved over the years & blood lines & I just don't feel it's wise to feed raw chicken or pork; beef, maybe but still...
    Our family vet, years ago, said chicken bones should not be given shdws, due to their splintering effect & obvious injuries of the mouth, throat & digestive system.

SweetBeast, Jan 27, 2013
  4. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, it is okay.

Chicken bones are scary because once they're cooked, they splinter. A splintered bone can puncture the stomach lining, the inside of the throat, etc, and you should never feed them cooked chicken bones.

Raw chicken bones don't splinter, though. They simply break like other bones do, which is why they're okay.

As for the raw meat, it's okay so long as it's fresh. Don't feed them raw chicken that's been in the fridge for a week.

Jessi, Jan 28, 2013
  5. shdws

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I didn't know it was ok for dogs to eat raw chicken. I try to stay away from feeding my dogs any human food as much as possible. I don't think they would eat it.

iluvmario, Jan 28, 2013
  6. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Yeah raw meat is okay. Dogs have a digestive system far different than ours, and can tolerate things we can't.
    And thanks for clarifying that Jessi. It makes sense the way you explain it.

shdws, Jan 28, 2013
  7. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

I am also not aware that raw chicken are just safe for dogs. We never fed our dogs raw meat.

zararina, Jan 29, 2013
Ask a Question