Purina Brand Dog Treats Cause Illnesses

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, May 24, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Nestle Purina dog treats manufactured in China are causing dogs to get sick. The brands in question are Waggin' Train and Canyon Ranch Creek. The first complaints came in around March. Since a story ran on ABC, the complaints have increased.

The FDA is investigating. To date, they have not figured out what is causing problems in dogs. A recall has not been ordered.
    http://www.myabc50.com/news/local/s...to-900-Dog-Deaths/0Mp2BijPo02guOl5Oq0W1g.cspx

Senator Sherrod Brown is trying to get congressional support for an investigation into the safety of products made in China.

It doesn't seem like there is an inspection process in place. I find it difficult to believe that Nestle can oversee manufacturing in China and I don't believe the FDA's reach can go outside out borders. I've lost faith in Chinese food products, what about you?

Melody, May 24, 2012
  2. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Oh man...I have some Purina Beggin' Strips lying around, which I broke into extremely small pieces in ordre to treat Milla. Any information on those? I think I'll quit giving it to her, period.

NewDCD, May 30, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

There should be a recall for these products for the safety of the dogs. Being aware about this news could also help for banning such certain product.

zararina, Jun 19, 2012
  4. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think this is just another reason to avoid all pet food made in China. There have been so many cases of recalls and illnesses breaking out, that it makes me wonder about the health and saftey procedures and checks. The factories seem slack to me. I'll be steering clear of Purina just to be on the safe side.

tajnz, Jun 21, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am not defending China but, just out of curiousity, why this sudden focus on sub-standard pet products from China? Does this mean that pet products made in other countries are up to standard?

Victor Leigh, Jun 22, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it's likely because of the sheer volume of food that is produced there. A lot of the big brands have a bunch of the foods made there and they're a huge exporter of pet foods and products. So while there may be some other countries that send out some, it's a much smaller quantity and isn't going to have such a vast effect like this is.

Jessi, Jun 23, 2012
  7. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

There was a problem with pet food back in 2007. I would like to think processed food products I gave Mishka were safe as well as food I may eat. I've chosen to avoid all foods from China for some time now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls

argon_0, Jun 24, 2012
  8. Melody

I have some friends who order products directly from China. From what they told me, the Chinese factories can produce a product at different levels of quality. All will look exactly the same but the cost prices are different, by as much as double between the lowest quality ones and the highest quality ones.

This may be what's happening with the pet food from China. It may not be that China cannot produce quality pet food. It may just be that the importers wanted the cheapest they could get and so they got the lowest quality that's available.

Victor Leigh, Jun 24, 2012
  9. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

And there lays the problem. Unsrupulous business people and unregulated manufacturing.
    It would be difficult for us as consumers to make good decisions in purchasing on quality and safety. It is easier to avoid these products.

argon_0, Jun 25, 2012
  10. Melody

That's probably the best course of action for you. Here, we don't have this problem because the pet food is manufactured locally. Haven't heard of any complaints about poor quality yet.

Victor Leigh, Jun 25, 2012
  11. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Indeed. Better to stick with one brand of dog food anyways; one you know won't give you any problems or make your companion sick. It's hard for something to go wrong when it's been reliable for a long time. That's why I stick to Science Diet.

NewDCD, Jun 26, 2012
  12. Melody

And I stick to Aree's Home-Cooked Doggie Treats. Can't get any better than that. Guaranteed to be wholly made from real beef and chicken. Good enough for any human to eat, too. Actually I eat that, too.

Victor Leigh, Jun 27, 2012
Ask a Question