Purebred Dogs: The Case for Adopt/Foster vs. Purchasing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hysssss-teria, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria Member

WARNING: This is long-winded … but everything here is important. I believe that if more people understand how breed rescues operate -- with the best interests of both the people and the dogs in mind -- the more people will be willing to adopt and foster homeless pets.

Please understand that the purpose of this post is NOT to belittle the fine work of bonafide REPUTABLE dog breeders. (I am NOT referring to the guy down the street who thinks it might be cool for his spaniel to have puppies, by the way.) The truly good breeders aren’t in it for the money. Rather, they are dedicated to continuing, maintaining, and promoting the exemplified standards of their chosen breeds. Period.

Seeking out a REPUTABLE breeder is almost always a sure thing when it comes to fulfilling whatever it is that you truly desire in a dog. This is particularly true of folks who require VERY exacting specifications in the dog they’re looking for. You may be looking for any of a vast number of canine skills and/or attributes: hunting, retrieving, sniffing, ratting, herding, service, security, search and rescue, agility, field trials, showing … the list goes on and on. Sometimes the job to be fulfilled is so specialized that specific bloodlines are desirable. In such instances, often a good breeder is the only logical choice.

So, that being said …

Let’s say that the person described above is NOT you, and you’ve decided that the time is right in your life to invite a dog into your heart and home -- forever. However, you do have a favorite breed in mind for the type of dog that is known to be suitable to your likes, dislikes and circumstances. You also may or may not have a preference for boy/girl, color, size, temperament, age, etc. While most adoptable dogs are at least young adults age-wise, often puppies are available, too.

And while we’re on the subject of age, please understand that THIS is a MYTH:
    “I MUST have a puppy so that it will bond with me and love me above all else forever.”

Nothing could be further from the truth. There is a bond that immediately forms with a rescued pet that far surpasses any other bond of love in all of Dogdom. Somehow, that animal KNOWS that you have saved its life -- and is incredibly grateful and strongly devoted forever. Period. And then there’s an entire laundry list of “Why Adult Dogs Are Better Than Puppies,” including what I like to call “Puppy Drama”. (Personally, I absolutely DESPISE the whole Puppy Drama scene, to I was THRILLED to get a young adult!)

Anyway, I digress …

You have your own specific personal situation to consider, but you feel that a dog would fit in.
    Maybe there are children in the home, and Grandma lives with you.
    You might already have a cat and a parrot.
    Sometimes a dog may have to be home alone all day because everyone works or goes to school.

Where and how should you begin your search for that perfect purebred pet?

Well, what about all those millions of homeless pets in shelters and rescues all over the continent??? Your heart aches for them -- but what can YOU do? Besides, you don’t want a dog that is nasty, barks all the time, bites, piddles on the floor … you never know what you’re going to get from those places … right?

You can adopt (or just foster) your Forever Friend from a breed-specific RESCUE (please note that this is not a “dog pound” or “shelter”).

Now, you just stop what you’re thinking right now … stop thinking about “rescues” as being anything like your local animal control “dog pound” … You’re NOT going to be able to just waltz in there, see a pretty doggie, and walk out with … ummmm, who-knows-what???

These organizations rescue their namesakes from shelters, pounds, surrenders -- and even from people who just dump them off. Breed rescues strive to place adoptable dogs in SUITABLE forever homes -- they’re looking for the right matching formula:
    (These People) + (This Dog) = Perfect Match.

Before placing a dog up for adoption, the breed rescue must:

Provide for transportation.
    Administer all vaccines, including rabies, so that they are up to date.
    Test for heartworms -- treat if appropriate.
    Complete veterinarian exam, and address and medicate any health issues.
    Spay/neuter.
    Evaluate temperament.
    Test dog for responses to and around food, children, elderly people, dogs, cats, other pets, travel, crating, bathroom habits, etc.

Some of the evaluations are done by placing the dog in a temporary foster home to learn all about his or her personality. So you see, you’re not getting just any old pig-in-a-poke. The rescue familiarizes themselves intimately with each dog, and will be able to confidently place him up for adoption to THE RIGHT HOME.

You may have selected a dog from the rescue’s website. Often very detailed descriptions accompany photos of these dogs. The rescue will be able to tell you all about the pet and how he may or may not be a good choice for you.

You will be asked to submit an application. Some rescues charge a very small “application fee” while others do not.

Then they’re going to screen YOU and everyone else in your home. Expect a “home visit” to be mandatory. All rescues have specific requirements, some more stringent than others. For instance -- some insist upon a fenced backyard, while others do not.

You will have at least one opportunity to meet the dog you choose before accepting her, and you may visit on as many different occasions as you feel comfortable with.

So you see, it’s a multi-step process designed to match you to the perfect dog for you, your family, and your personal situation.

But the process can actually include another step -- but it’s typically up to you. If you’re just not sure that this is the perfect dog for you, most rescues offer you the option to FOSTER the pet for a short time. This is typically anywhere from two weeks to two months -- kind of a doggie “Try Before You Buy” thing. All you have to pay for is dog food -- usually the rescue will provide everything else.

If for ANY reason you do not think this is the right dog, they will immediately take her back. You will be free to choose another foster to “try out” if you wish.

There is no charge to the foster family, but if someone else wants to meet the dog you must be prepared to “show” her to them in your home. However, the foster family is typically given “first dibs” on adopting the dog, should someone else apply for her while she is in your care.

Should you choose to adopt the dog, understand that you are NOT getting a FREE pet -- on the contrary. There is typically an adoption fee, which may be anywhere from $50 to $500. But believe me, breed rescues are NOT in it for the money. If anything, they suffer losses on each adoption -- and often these monies have come from the pockets of volunteers. When you consider all the time, money, and effort that has gone into getting a pet out of a bad situation or kill shelter to the “adoptable” stage, the adoption fee is a mere drop in a bucket. Further, it is a well-known fact that a tedious application process accompanied by a substantial fee can discourage less-than-sincere prospective pet owners.

OK … there you have it -- most of what I know firsthand from working with dog breed rescue organizations. It may look/sound like a lot of red tape, but it really isn’t bad at all. And believe me -- your Forever Friend is sooooooooo worth it -- and SO much more!!! You will never have a single regret, I promise.​

Hysssss-teria, Mar 27, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. Hysssss-teria

King Browny Well-Known Member

Hey, this one’s a wonderful article. I shared it on my Facebook for other people to be aware of the value of adopting/fostering dogs. I believe you put your heart and knowledge on writing this one for the benefit of dogs who need a lasting home and caring ‘parent’ so thank you. In any dog shelters, pounds or rescue orgs there are hopeful dogs waiting to be adopted, dogs that will no doubt bring an added glow in our life more so if given our tender love and care. I (again) watched Marley & Me last night and that clearance dog never fail to touch my inner feelings and made me laugh and cry. A dog, no matter where it came from, could be terrible but there’s no way he can’t be laughable and lovable and turn you into a real grown up.

King Browny, Mar 29, 2012
    Hysssss-teria likes this.
  3. Hysssss-teria

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am just learning to use Facebook again. I think this is the perfect article to share with my friends. Just need a tiny bit of confirmation. Not that I doubt you but this is an original post, right? Just don't want someone on Facebook showing me another link where this is from. Hope you understand. And keep up the good work.

Victor Leigh, Mar 29, 2012
  4. Hysssss-teria

zararina Well-Known Member

Great article.
    I actually do not choose if its a pure breed or not. I just prefer those dogs that are not too hairy as pet for health reasons. ;)

zararina, Mar 29, 2012
  5. Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria Member

Thanks, everyone for your very kind comments.

And Victor -- Yes, I certainly do understand. This is all original, unpublished work that I spent several hours composing for this very Forum, and it’s directly from my heart to yours. If you see a link to this anywhere, it is an illegal plagiarism of my work. This piece LEGALLY exists ONLY on this page and on my hard drive.

It may sound “polished” -- and I should certainly hope so -- for I am a professional freelance writer. I want to dispel the myths that shroud “breed rescue adoption”. It’s my belief that if people have a better understanding of what rescues really are, how they operate, and how easy it is, then they’ll be more likely to consider the option.

I have related to you my own personal experience -- that's the way it happened with us and our beloved Toby. The breed rescue that we worked with was Labs4Rescue, and we found them by Googling “Labrador retriever rescues in CT” . One of the top results was petfinder.com --probably the best site for locating your Forever Best Friend, no matter where you live. Many rescues list their adoptable pets on that site because it's so easy to find, and it works rather like a central location for many legitimate rescues.

I own and retain the rights to every word in this article. I did not write this for payment, and do not want anyone else to be paid for it. My desire and the intention of the article is to share my experiences with others in the hope that someone will be touched and educated about pet rescues. If one single pet is rescued because a human found inspiration in my written words, then my mission is fulfilled -- and it has cost me nothing but my time.

This is public declaration of sharing my permission with you -- solely for the sake of educating and reaching out to others in an effort to promote pet adoption. Please feel free to copy it to your personal Facebook page, or even to your personal website for that purpose. I do require that you attribute it to me -- my name is Debra Turner; or if you fancy, you can even use my pen name -- Axl J. Amistaadt.

I am thrilled and humbled that you find my words worth sharing. If you have learned anything new, I’ve done my job. Please share it with others.

Hysssss-teria, Mar 29, 2012
  6. Hysssss-teria

King Browny Well-Known Member

I posted this thread link in my FB so they would refer or read it here to where you write it. :)

King Browny, Mar 30, 2012
  7. Hysssss-teria

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification, Debra. No, you don't sound polished at all. You ARE polished. Polished as in superb writing. Superb writing as in the best of its kind, writing from the heart. Just curious. I assume you are English from your name. Your nom de plume sounds very Dutch. How did you get it?

ps
    This Old Man dabbles in the writing arts now and then. Kind of like pretending to be a writer. And ended up doing more pretending than writing.

Victor Leigh, Mar 31, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
Ask a Question