Puppy Mill closes down

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

The ASPCA has been working tirelessly to shine a light on large puppy mills that breed dogs and sell them to pet stores. They are controversial to be sure. Just a few years back, these facilities were unregulated and some of them had really awful practices.

Because of the work of the ASPCA and others, regulations have been put in place. These are to ensure that multiple dogs aren't cramped into cages, females are bred until they die, dogs aren't laying in their feces, etc. I know...you would think if you wanted to sell dogs your goal would be to create a healthy environment. But, many of these puppy mills are more concerned with profit than their animals.

At any rate, one of the largest in the country shut down its doors this Summer. It was Lambriar Kennels in Kansas. You can read about it on the ASPCA blog:
    http://blog.aspca.org/content/one-largest-puppy-brokers-shuts-its-doors

Melody, Aug 28, 2012
  2. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This is great news.

I think the war is still far from over. We must keep up the pressure until all puppy mills close down. I think this is something that must be approached from both ends. First, go after the puppy mills and shut them down. At the same time, encourage people, maybe even add in some perks, to adopt from animal shelters.

Now what does it take to launch a nationwide neutering exercise of all strays? How much money does it take and can this money be raised in a nationwide donation drive?

Victor Leigh, Aug 31, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Victor, I agree. Some of these places are deplorable. They breed animals only for the money they can make from it. They do not care about the health of the animals, nor the conditions they live in. I remember reading how the females were made to have multiple litters at one facility. They normally died at 5-6 years of age because their body was worn out.

Many times people buy these dogs only to find that they've been sold a dog that is ill, injured, or has a genetic disease caused by the breeding practices. These dogs can also have behavioral problems because of the conditions they lived in before they were sold. When they try to get something from those they bought the dog from, they disappear. The buyer is stuck with the veterinary bills.

I'm not sure if this is all shelters in California, but I know the one in my area spays/neuters before adoption. Most people are not prepared for a litter of puppies. It's best this way.

Melody, Aug 31, 2012
  4. Melody

The question which arise here is why are they allowed to operate? Is it because the general public is apathetic to the plight of dogs? Or is it because dogs have no rights in the eyes of the law?

Victor Leigh, Sep 1, 2012
  5. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

Then name alone, Puppy Mill sounds horrible and disgust me. I'm so relieved and happy when one is shut down. This is great news!

The most effective way to shut down these money mills, because let's face it that's what they are. Is for being to stop shopping for their pets here, in order to save a buck or two. It makes me ill. If you cant afford a real breeder then seek out a rescue animal. There are more than enough of these animals to go around. We could end two problems if more people did this.

Pocs, Sep 1, 2012
  6. Melody

I agree with that. Maybe there is an ongoing campaign somewhere that we can take part in to make more people aware of this problem with puppy mills. Does anyone have any leads on this?

Victor Leigh, Sep 2, 2012
  7. Melody

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

Praise the Lord the puppy mill was shut down! It's hard to believe there are still quite a few puppy mills out there even though more people are aware of them and more efforts are being made to shut them down.

Beside the basic humane societies and local SPCA and ASPCA there are several other organizations that are fighting against puppy mills or puppy farms as some are now being called. Here's a link to PrisonersOfGreed.org They are fighting to close down puppy mills. Here's a link to the ALDF site. This is a site for the Animal Legal Defense Fund that is trying to secure animal rights. I don't know much about them...I just found their site. You might want to check them out.

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 2, 2012
  8. Melody

Thank you for the links. Of the two, I think the second one has a chance to make some real change to the situation. I am all for an Animal Bill of Rights. Animals have lives and they have rights, too.

Victor Leigh, Sep 3, 2012
Ask a Question