Pug will not poop outside!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Amanda Brown, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Amanda Brown

Amanda Brown Member

I have a male pug whom we adopted a couple of months ago and boy has it been an adventure. He will not go potty outside! I bring him out into the yard on a leash and he sniffs and sniffs and...nothing! As soon as we bring him inside he does his number two on our carpet! I know pugs are notorious for being stubborn but this is ridiculous! My husband loves this pug but I cannot deal with him doing his business on the carpet all day. Anyone have this problem or have some suggestions?

Amanda Brown, Mar 26, 2012
  2. Amanda Brown

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Have you tried crate training him? I trained all of mine this way and I have never had a problem with them going in the house.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 26, 2012
  3. Amanda Brown

Amanda Brown Member

We only put him in the crate at night. Could that be the issue? I am a stay at home mom and I feel bad locking him up while I am home all day. After he has an accident he does get crated so maybe I am going about it all wrong?

Amanda Brown, Mar 26, 2012
  4. Amanda Brown

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Try this. Dogs, I am told, feel the urge to go after a nap and after a meal. So take him out after a nap and after a meal. Maybe it will work.

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  5. Amanda Brown

haopee Well-Known Member

In addition to what Victor Leigh has mentioned, most dogs will go after playtime, after meals, after naps, and usually when they wake up after sleeping. So basically, you'll have to bring him out on this schedule. Eventually, he will get a hang of it. Dogs also potty on places they've already gone in.

Has he done it in that same spot on a previous occasion? I ask this because, if the area wasn't cleaned well, even the faintest smell of their potty still existing in that spot can also stimulate them to peeing and pooping there.

I think you'll have to clean the carpet pretty well so he doesn't pick up a scent of his potty there anymore. Use an odor remover specifically made for removing dog urine or dog poop.

Next, to make outdoor potty training easier, when he pees on an area, get a newspaper and soak it with his urine (let us call this the Peed-Pad). Don't forget to clean that place thoroughly as well. The next time you go out, put this Peed-Pad on the area where you want him to do his business and praise him lavishly once he accomplishes it.

haopee, Mar 27, 2012
  6. Amanda Brown

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that better walk him out after a meal or after you think he would probably do his business.
    It could be hard to let him just stay outside but maybe you can use that as "punishment" every time he would poo inside. And letting him on his dog house out, he would do his business outside and if you think he knows already the poo area outside, you can let him in again and maybe he would initiate to go out when nature calls. :p

zararina, Mar 27, 2012
  7. Amanda Brown

Amanda Brown Member

I will have to try some of those suggestions. We do clean up his potty spot really well with this spray I found at Petsmart that is supposed to eliminate the odor. We have tried puppy pads too but he usually tends to just chew those up. I have thought about staking him outside and seeing if maybe he will go potty if he is out there by himself. He is very stubborn!

Amanda Brown, Mar 27, 2012
  8. Amanda Brown

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

All of these suggestions are awesome! The next time he poops in the house pick it up with a tissue and take it outside where you want him to go.

He doesn't have to be crated all day just take him at the times that were mentioned and if he goes then you can give him some outside the crate time. Also you shouldn't use the crate as form of punishment because it will make them not want to be in it anymore.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 29, 2012
Ask a Question