Progress with the gardener

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I think I told you all about a year ago that we had a new gardener. I've been working with Misha to modify her behavior towards him since he comes over 2 to 3 times a month. Mostly she barks and puts on a display of wanting to attack him through the sliding glass door.

I've tried different things to make her relax while he is doing his work. Each has had different degrees of success. It appears that my theory that she is better with new people outside than in the house still holds true. She rarely barks at him when we are out front with him. The minute we come into the house she gets protective.

So, this week for the first time, he brought her a treat. It was a small sized Milk Bone, but to her it was like having a feast. LOL

My Mom was scared to let her outside to get it. But, I put her on leash and took her out. At least on leash, I could control her reaction. The minute we got outside all barking stopped. She walked right up to him and when he offered the treat she took it.

Oh boy, was she happy! She ran in the house with her prize. I wonder if she will remember the nice man who gave her a big treat in two weeks when he returns?

Maybe in another year she won't even care when he comes over. :D

Melody, Jun 6, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  2. Melody

Becky Well-Known Member

That great! Sounds like he is very understanding about it - giving her a treat is a great idea :)

Becky, Jun 7, 2013
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, your gardener is a very sweet person! It's great that he isn't scared of Misha, if he was, she would be able to sense it and she wouldn't trust him.
    Maybe after some time they'll become friends:)

claudine, Jun 7, 2013
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I think he's a little bit afraid of her. I would be too if this dog, even a small one, was jumping around the sliding glass door, snarling and barking at me. But, he seems willing to try to befriend her. He keeps treats in his truck and then tries to makes friends with the dogs on his route.

I hope they will become friends. Right now, I have to keep her on leash in the house because she is a nuisance. It would be nice to have a dog that can sit anywhere in the house while the gardener is working.

Again, Misha did so much better outside the house than inside. She must see everything up to the doors as her territory. When we are outside, she behaves so differently.

Melody, Jun 7, 2013
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

The gardener must come across all types of dogs and be rather tolerant. I think any aggressive dog behaviour must be unsettling even if through a sliding glass door. Good on him for making an effort to befriend Misha.
    Mishka gets all excited if some one new is outside. I normally let her out to say hello and after that she has no problem going back inside and is settled. I suppose it is checking out what stranger is on her territory.:confused:

argon_0, Jun 8, 2013
  6. Melody

If there was a stranger in our garden, Homer would never leave him alone. He would bark and bark. Whenever we have some new guests coming over, we have to scream to hear each other because Homer is so loud:eek: . Fortunately he already knows most of my friends and he doesn't consider them strangers anymore.

claudine, Jun 8, 2013
  7. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Oh Homer. :D
    I wonder if I could ever be a friend of his? I bet he is choosey.:cool:

argon_0, Jun 10, 2013
  8. Melody

You would have to buy a delicious treat for him and glasses for yourself. And then he would test you if you are good at throwing cones. If yes, it's quite possible that he would accept you after a few weeks:p

claudine, Jun 11, 2013
  9. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes nice that the gardener is not afraid of Misha or not afraid of dogs generally.
    And it is really a good idea of giving her a treat. :D

zararina, Jun 14, 2013
  10. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

Sounds like a plan. You'll probably find if you try and interact a bit more with the gardner when you are outside with the dog she will start to accept him a lot quicker. Stop, chat and laugh, let the dog off the leash while you're there, especially if he's just given her a treat.
    Once she sees you happy to accept him she will. It's partly a territorial thing, and letting you know someone is in the garden.

TheBrit, Jun 18, 2013
Ask a Question