Preventing dog bite tragedies

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

There was a local tragedy a week or so ago. A family dog attacked the family's 5 year old child. While they were able to free the child, he did not survive.

It's a shocking incident and very sad. Yet, when one reads the facts surrounding this attack, one can only think that it might have been prevented. For instance, the several young children were out in the yard with the dog without adult supervision. The children were roughhousing with the dog when the child climbed on the dog's back to ride it. That is when the dog turned and bite the child.

There was an interesting column in the newspaper about this incident. It was written by a dog training who deals with dogs that bite and offered her thoughts on how to prevent these tragedies.

I think sometimes people forget dogs are animals. I know for myself I would never let small children alone with the family dog without supervision. Not only do you have to keep the dog in check, but you have to make sure the children don't bug the dog too much. Even good dogs have their limits. And small children tend to do things like pull tails and ears, climb on dogs, and so forth, that the dog might not like.

Anyway, this is an interesting read...
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/opinion/ci_23553366/must-use-union-city-tragedy-educate-public-about

Melody, Jun 28, 2013
  2. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

That is tragic. If you have a dog and children, you have a very big responsibilty. You first must train your dog not to be aggressive, and to listen to you. However, like you said, dogs are animals, and they are not 100% predictable. So you also much teach your children to respect the dog. While it might be cute that little Tommy tries to ride the dog like a horse, or pulls the dogs tail, you need to teach him that even though the dog doesn't mind, it's not ok. And lastly, you as the parent need to provide supervision. I have a 65 pound rottweiler mix. While I am find with him being around my children (when I have them) They will never be in a room (or backyard) unsupervised together. That way, if the worst happens, I know I will be there to intervene immediately.

MakingCents, Jun 29, 2013
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

That is sad. And unfortunately, it's not the dog's fault. Yet the worst punishment is imposed on them for that something they reacted upon and not something they caused.

I think dog owners should always make it a point to educate their visitors and household on how to avoid these bites.

For instance, roughousing is a big NO NO. Always be gentle with handling even small dogs.

Rather than petting a dog in the head, it is better to stroke them on the side.

Never leave children alone with a dog without adult supervision.

haopee, Jun 29, 2013
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I always repeat that I would never leave my Homer with a child without supervision. He is small and weak, but, like every dog, he can bite. Also, his patience is limited, I'm sure that he wouldn't let anyone ride him. He would fight.
    I feel that the tragic accident happened because the parents of the child were reckless. It wasn't the dog's fault.

claudine, Jun 29, 2013
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

People just don't realize that dogs can be touchy and unpredictable. Sierra was the type of dog that you could trust with kids, but I still didn't leave my nieces and nephew alone with her unsupervised. Kids are too unpredictable. Sierra was 75-80 lbs. A dog that size could really hurt a child even just by knocking them over.

You have to train your dog, but you must teach your kids what is right and wrong for their own protection. When Sierra was young, she had a bad habit of walking up and taking your hand in her mouth. It was a gentle thing, not aggressive. I read somewhere that hunting breeds might do this because they are used to holding things in their mouths. Anyway, it's not a behavior you want with your family pet! I was always worried that the kids would get bitten accidentally because they would react by pulling back. So, I taught them it was love bites and to hold their hand there until Sierra was done. They were really just light nibbles, no pressure. The kids thought it was funny and would say "Oh, love bites...she loves me!" Eventually, Sierra grew out of it.

I would not trust Misha alone with a child. She is unpredictable because she is afraid of so much. Kids move around to quickly and do things you don't expect. My youngest niece knows that Misha is this way. They are great friends, but she knows she can not play with Misha the same way she plays with her dogs at home.

Melody, Jun 30, 2013
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Another sad story that shouldn't have happened.
    Even placid gentle Mishka, I am still careful when visitors' children are about. I am sure she wouldn't take a nip but dogs are pack animals and a child smaller than her may be down the pecking order. Mishka is for some reason sensitive about feet being near her while she's laying on the floor and snarls and moves away if she feels uncomfortable having them so close.
    So definitely we all should be diligent with our dogs and children about them.

argon_0, Jul 1, 2013
  7. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

It was really tragic.
    It was so right that kids should always have the supervision their parents or guardians. It is never safe to just leave kids alone whether with pets or not.

zararina, Jul 1, 2013
  8. Melody

trishgl Well-Known Member

I have to agree that children should never be left with a dog without adult supervision. I know some people would probably disagree but its better to be on the safe side more so if you have a big dog and small children. When our chow was given to us I was very concerned as many articles I had read stated that Chows were a dominant breed. I had a 5 year old son and I was pregnant at the time so I was very concerned. We decided to be proactive in not just training our dog but our son on how to act around our dog. In fact in teaching our son to be calm whenever he was with the dog and not get the dog unduly excited with play that was too rough that turned our dog's behavior around more than the training the dog received.

trishgl, Jul 5, 2013
Ask a Question