"Preemie" Premature Puppies Information

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Jul 1, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Last time we went to the vet, I saw little puppies being placed in an incubator. They weren't premature but the owner needed to make sure that they were all fine.

Anyway, preemie puppies are little pups that were born too early, either due to induced labor or stress. These little guys' chance of survival depends on how early they were born. Some of them don't have suck reflex yet so those have to be tube fed.

Preemies that were born 5-10 days earlier than their supposed birth date have very slim chances of living. Clear indicators that they are premature are lack of fur on the legs and sometimes on the face area.

Also, they need an incubator to keep them warm as preemie puppies can't maintain their own heat.

Have you experienced taking care of a preemie puppy?

haopee, Jul 1, 2013
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never taken care of preemie puppies, I've never even seen any. It must be very scary to look after them, I would be terified that I'm doing something wrong, or hurting them unwittingly.
    When Homer was a puppy, he was so tiny. I remember that I stroked him very, very delicately. I can't imagine how would it be to take care of an even smaller dog.

claudine, Jul 10, 2013
  3. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not experienced taking care of any preemie puppy. It could be very difficult to take care such puppy cause it will need attention maybe all of the time in order to ensure it will survive.

zararina, Jul 16, 2013
Ask a Question