Potential Drug to Induce Female Dog Sterility

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Feb 6, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Given a drug was safe enough to use to sterilize a dog without having to undergo invasive surgery, would you have you dog take it?
    I think it's a great finding even though it's years from getting approved. What do you think?

haopee, Feb 6, 2013
  2. haopee

Nick87 Well-Known Member

If it was safer than surgery, that would be a great thing. I'm still iffy about new products though, so I hope they go through very thorough testing before putting it out there and trying it on dogs. If it's something that needs to be taken once a week or day or month though like human birth control, I could see a lot of people not doing it because they'd forget it often.

Nick87, Feb 6, 2013
  3. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea. It would be so much better than a surgery, surgeries are so scary. Homer had anesthesia once and it was a nightmare for me, I was terrified he won't wake up.

claudine, Feb 6, 2013
  4. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

If it is safe and proven, then it would be a better alternative to surgery. I would go this route for my dog.

shdws, Feb 8, 2013
  5. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I am hoping that it'd be more of a one time deal. I know that birth control pills for dogs already exists... I just don't know how many actually use it... In fact, there are "morning-after" pills for dogs as well.

I am unsure of what their effects are but I am sure they've undergone approval first.

haopee, Feb 11, 2013
  6. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I love the idea in general.

I don't think I would be wiling to use it at this point, though. It won't be tested nearly enough and we'll have no idea what the long-term effects might be for quite a while still.

Jessi, Feb 11, 2013
  7. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have never heard of either before!!

So do the dogs get the birth control pill daily like female humans do? I wonder how safe it is.

Jessi, Feb 11, 2013
  8. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Well, not exactly. But I've read in a book where the author explains what to do when your dog gets mated accidentally.

He informs the readers to go to the vet and have them drink a pill which has the same process of stopping a pregnancy in humans. Something about increase in progesterone.

haopee, Feb 13, 2013
  9. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Feb 15, 2013
  10. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that proven safe, it will be just fine.
    Better since there is no need for operation which could also mean cheaper.

zararina, Feb 16, 2013
  11. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Would be interested to see if this comes about. A way to sterilize the dog safely without surgery would certainly be intriguing. But is it like human birth control? If you skip a dose does the dog maybe have chance of getting preggers? Might not be reliable enough?

MakingCents, Feb 17, 2013
  12. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well to sterilize would actually make it permanent. So no, it wouldn't be a matter of taking birth control and missing a dose. Whether the pill or injection was made of would induce menopause basically and make it so that the body wasn't producing the stuff required to get pregnant any more.

Jessi, Feb 18, 2013
  13. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I remember that one of the female dogs I had was supposedly fixed so that she wouldn't be able to have puppies. However, the procedure that was done on her wasn't done properly because she still went through things that were prominent in a female dog who could reproduce. Looking back at this I think that maybe a pill is a good solution if it works effectively and doesn't have an adverse effects. This is something that would be key, after all most medications can have adverse effects when taking them. So would such a pill have a bad effect on a dog down the line, even if it appears to be safe now.

pafjlh, Feb 18, 2013
  14. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

That's a good point :)

MakingCents, Feb 20, 2013
  15. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure I would go for the pill for my dog. First there is Jessi's point. It's hard enough for humans to remember the medications they are supposed to take for themselves. I would see this as one more thing I have to remember. Spaying is a one time, permanent thing. No more worries if the neighbor's dog jumps the fence.

Second, I'm not crazy about giving my dog medication on a regular basis unless necessary for a medical reason. I'd be worried that the pill might do more harm than good over time.

Third, would it be more cost effective? I think it cost $300 to have Misha spayed at our regular veterinarian (included a follow up visit, medication, a sedative because she was all freaked out for a couple of days afterward). I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere no doubt. But, how much would the pills be and how many years is a female dog fertile? It might end up costly a heck of a lot more especially with how expensive pet medications are.

Melody, Feb 20, 2013
  16. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well ideally, this would be a one-time procedure, too. It would be a single set of pills or injections that would induce menopause and then it wouldn't have to be continued. So I'm sure the cost would be high, but it wouldn't be an ongoing one.

I really don't think anyone would be that on board with a daily oral contraceptive. It's just too easily forgotten. :(

Jessi, Feb 21, 2013
Ask a Question