Playing with food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GavinMcresty, May 4, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Is there any food your dog enjoys playing with rather than eating? When we gave salad to one of our dogs, she used to shake each item before eating it. We are not completely sure why. She was either making sure it was "dead" or she was just drying it. How about your dog? Do they "hunt" their food before they eat it?

GavinMcresty, May 4, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I won't say that they won't eat it but I have had them shake some of the things that I have given them. It is actually a little entertaining at times. Only time it drives me a little crazy is when it is something wet and they get it all over the place or it is something soft that breaks up easily. I do have one that if I give her some apple, a nice big piece, she will take it shake it, throw it in the air, catch it and eat it. The only thing I haven't seen them do it with is kibble.

MzMonka, May 4, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

Usually, my Homer swallows everything as soon as possible, sometimes he doesn't even chew it which worries me but this is another story. The only time when I saw him playing with something edible was when I gave him one of these green toothbrushes for dogs. He tossed it and barked at it for at least 15 minutes:p

claudine, May 5, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog is not fond of playing with foods. If he does not want the food, he will try to throw it out of the bowl through his nose. If he likes the food, he will finish it as fast as he can. :p

zararina, May 6, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

CoCo New Member

I have a young German Shepherd, and have never seen her play with her food, though I imagine it must be fun to watch! Mine eats seriously. What I do like about her, though, is that she doesn't devour her food. She eats nicely, and if something distracts her, she will leave it and come back later. My last dog was a Lab, and nothing could distract her from eating all her food as fast as she could. So, my Lab never played with her food either :)

CoCo, May 17, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

Lokitns Member

Ice, all three of my pups go absolutely wild for ice. They wont eat it, but they'll lick it and when they go to try and pick it up and it skids across our hardwood floors, it's game on.

Lokitns, May 19, 2013
Ask a Question