Plants that are toxic when eaten by your dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Some years ago I read a list of several things that were bad for dogs, I found a few plants in that list, but I guess there are many plants that can be toxic for them as well! I'll create a small list of them here, but please feel free to add your own as well, the bigger the list the better!

Kalanchoes (leaves):

[​IMG]

Poinsettia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to add more later :) You can add some too, with pictures please!!! Since is important to see the plant, because some people who live in other countries where english isn't spoken might not recognize the name of the plant at all.

Trellum, Nov 27, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Thak you so much for this list, Trellum! It's extremely helpful. I grow hydragea in my garden, I had no idea that it's toxic for dogs. Fortunately, Homer has always been igoring it.
    I'll do some research and soon, I'll post pictures of a few other toxic plants.

claudine, Nov 27, 2013
  3. Trellum

dodgesnose Member

They are beautiful plants that flowers and blooms, surely so irresistible even for dogs. Thanks for informing these are not recommend around for dogs.

dodgesnose, Nov 28, 2013
  4. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

My dogs have never tried to eat flowering plants or their leaves. Mostly my dog eats grass several times a month. My mom has Kalanchoes in her garden so I'll just have to keep an eye on ChaCha when we are there. Have you heard of grass that can be toxic to dogs though?

trishgl, Dec 2, 2013
  5. Trellum

I've been told that Lily of the Valley is poisonous to dogs (it may be poisonous to humans too):

[​IMG]

When eaten, it causes irregular heart beat, seizures and coma:eek:
    In my opinion Lily of the Valley is one of the loveliest plants, but it seems really dangerous:(

claudine, Dec 2, 2013
  6. Trellum

Wow, for a plant lover and a plant lover, is always a hard time when I find out about another plant that could possibly harm my dogs or cat! Really heart-breaking! Now I must watch those closely :( Thanks a lot for sharing, Magda :) Another one to the list!

Trellum, Dec 2, 2013
  7. Trellum

OMG, really?? I was growing kalanchoes and had no idea they could kill my pets! I'm so glad this post was helpful to you! Thanks for your cooperation :) I'm sure homer will stay away from it but is always good to know!

Trellum, Dec 2, 2013
  8. Trellum

You are very welcome :) There are so many flowering and non-flowering plants out there that are toxic! Sadly not many people know, hope I can post more in the future, so we make this list grow!

Trellum, Dec 2, 2013
  9. Trellum

It's really scary, I wasn't aware that so many lovely plants can be dangerous:(. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that most dogs can sense it. My Homer has never tried eating any plants that grow in our garden, I hope he never will.

Daffodils may cause vomiting, convulsions and heart arrhythmias:

[​IMG]

claudine, Dec 3, 2013
    Trellum likes this.
  10. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

This is a very useful and informative thread. :D
    Good thing we do not have those plants near here.

zararina, Dec 3, 2013
    Trellum likes this.
  11. Trellum

Zararina, I wish I could say the same, but the truth is that I have a lot of daffodis and lilies of the valley in my garden. I love them, they're my favorite plants, so I really don't want to get rid of them. On the other hand, I worry about Homer:( Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be interested in eating them. He only eats apples and pears that lie under our fruit trees:p

claudine, Dec 5, 2013
  12. Trellum

You're welcome, but still watch out for poinsettias ;) they're almost around every corner this season, and they're really dangerous!

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
  13. Trellum

Thanks a lot for the cooperation, Claudine :) Daffodils are so beautiful, but wow... are they dangerous!!! I've found more plabnts that are really dangerous to eat as well. I plan to post more pics too. I think we will learn more about plants this way as well ;)

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
  14. Trellum

Who would have imagined Calla Lilies were toxic too? :eek:

The can cause oral irritation, intense burning and vomiting! Watch out gardeners with pets!!!

[​IMG]

Morning glory:

Who would have thought! They're so beautiful, but they can cause: gastrointestinal upset, agitation, tremors, disorientation, ataxia, anorexia. Seeds may cause hallucination & may cause diarrhea.

[​IMG]

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
  15. Trellum

Arum Lilies

[​IMG]

It can cause: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, etc.

Arrow-head vine

[​IMG]

It can cause: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

Trellum, Jan 20, 2014
  16. Trellum

Azalea is a gorgeous plant, but, unfortunately, it's toxic to dogs:(
    Eating its leaves can cause serious issues, like digestive upset, loss of appetite, and leg paralysis.
    Here is a picture for those, who aren't familiar with this plant:

[​IMG]

claudine, Jan 28, 2014
  17. Trellum

What a pity! It seems the most beautiful plants are the ones that are really toxic forour dogs :( I love azaleas, but not sure I'd like to have them around knowing the effect they can have if eaten by my dogs.

Trellum, Feb 20, 2014
  18. Trellum

Yes, it's a pity:( On the other hand, dogs usually don't try to eat plants, at least Homer doesn't. He ignores them. The only thing that interests him in our garden is grass. He also sometimes eats apples from our apple tree.
    But I've never seen him eating any flowers.

claudine, Feb 20, 2014
  19. Trellum

Plants can be a source of real concern when you just bring a new dog into the house. Puppies seem to be so curious of everything , so when that happens we need to be extra careful with our plant choices, just like when you have kids :(

Trellum, Feb 24, 2014
  20. Trellum

This is very true! Adult dogs usually don't eat random plants, but you never know what a puppy will do if you let it play in a garden. I remember that Homer was curious of everything and wanted to try everything. I once caught him trying to chew our Christmas tree:eek:

claudine, Mar 10, 2014
Ask a Question