Pit-bull Terriers in the News Again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Aug 10, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

argon_0, Aug 10, 2012
  2. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

Hi Argon_0, any dog can be scary if their tendencies aren't corrected and taught socialization. I am not afraid of big breeds. It's the little ones I am scared of.

Last week, my sister's shih tzu (who I used to own) bit me twice on the hand and arm. He had bared teeth (with eyes almost popping out of their sockets) and was growling because I took his bone. I was a tad hesitant on whether to teach him to submit but I knew if I weren't to teach him, no one will. This week, I am glad that he now knows that he can't make me run away with his aggression and that he gets corrected for being aggressive.

I am sorry to hear this story. But truth be told, this aren't the dogs' fault. It is the owner's for probably not giving their dogs enough time to socialize or be corrected. That's what happened to my sister's shih tzu. He gets all tensed up with visitors. It's as if he will devour them or something.

I truly hope Andrew Close gets justice. I think people who cannot take responsibility of their dogs and assure the safety of other pets shouldn't own one. Period!

haopee, Aug 10, 2012
  3. argon_0

Pocs Well-Known Member

Stories like this just enrage me. For several reasons, yet again pits viewed in a negative light in the media, don't they already have enough strikes against them. Then there are the owners who give other pet owners a bad name, by not following the laws of pet owners and for neglect. A dog not being watched and allowed to roam the streets is neglect.

Leash laws are put into place to not only protect other animals and people but to protect that animal. I walk my dogs daily, always on a leash, it's not that difficult.

Dogs being able to roam around as they choose is a danger to everyone. Especially in a group, it's trouble in the making. The owners need to be held accountable for it. If tougher fines and penalties were put into place and up held maybe we can wipe out these occurrences in the media.

Pocs, Aug 10, 2012
  4. argon_0

Shepherd Well-Known Member

It shames me to admit that I am actually incredibly frightened of pit bull terriers. I have never been around one that was not aggressive. Since I am a thin female, I am easily pushed around by such a large animal.

I was bitten by a dog when I was a child. (Not a pit bull, mind you.) But every time I am around a pit bull, I feel anxiety and remember that time. I think any dog that strikes fear into me will probably make me think of when I was bitten, but nevertheless, I don't think I'd ever like to own a pit bull or keep a pit bull around a child/toddler.

Shepherd, Aug 11, 2012
  5. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I am a bit nervy about several breeds of dogs. I guess most dogs can give a savage bite though statistically pit bulls account for 50% of all incidents. As this link says they can be loving family dog if properly socialized at a young age but I still will be a bit wary of them.http://www.pitbull411.com/history.html

argon_0, Aug 11, 2012
  6. argon_0

Pocs Well-Known Member

I have been attacked on 2 different occasions growing up. One was a family friends German Shepard and the other was a larger than normal, stray Border Collie. You would think I would fear all dogs and especially these breeds. I particularly do not think it's a breed as it is the atmosphere or care of the dogs. Domestic animals are a product of what they are taught or been a victim to, not a specific breed.

Pocs, Aug 11, 2012
Ask a Question