Picky dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nick87, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Are your dogs picky when it comes to food? My small dog is, she refuses to eat anything that she doesn't want at that moment. Even if she likes it normally, she might want chicken one day and beef the next day, and will sit there staring at you until you give her what she wants.

Nick87, Feb 9, 2013
  2. Nick87

Melody Well-Known Member

Answer: NO! LOL I had picky dogs earlier in life. Mostly it was because they got too much people food. Then, they would turn up their noses up at the dog food.

Sierra, my last dog, was a chow hound. She devoured her food the minute it hit her bowl.

Misha is the same way. In fact, as I'm getting her food she jumps in the air as if to tell me I'm not going fast enough. I have to put her meals in treat balls because she eats much too fast. I've changed her food a couple of times over her life and not once has she refused food. The flavor does not matter at all as long as it is food. Though, I have to say, I feed her the same food everyday, so she doesn't get a choice.

Melody, Feb 9, 2013
  3. Nick87

claudine Well-Known Member

I always find picky eaters quite cute - but of course it's a problem to feed them.
    Homer eats everything. Sometimes he even eats things that aren't edible, like small parts of cones or grass. I'm pretty sure he would eat all the time if I let him. The only thing he doesn't like are bananas:p

claudine, Feb 10, 2013
  4. Nick87

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, Misha is like that. When we moved and she went through the "adjustment", she acquired a taste for tan bark. I couldn't let her outside alone because she would gorge on it. I was constantly pulling it out of her mouth. I don't think it's the best thing for a dog. Luckily, she got over it. At some point she decided she didn't like it any more.

Paper is another issue altogether.

Melody, Feb 10, 2013
  5. Nick87

claudine Well-Known Member

Did you manage to do it? When I try to pull something out of Homer's mouth, he swallows it quickly. When I ignore him, there is a chance he'll spit it eventually.

claudine, Feb 10, 2013
  6. Nick87

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog is not really that picky. There are just times that our dog seems do not like his food and we just have to give him foods that he will prefer.

zararina, Feb 11, 2013
Ask a Question