Picking names

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, May 12, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

How do you go about choosing a name for your dog?

Do you have it for a while and then base a name choice off its personality? Do you have a name picked out in your head already and go with whatever you like? Do you base it off what they look like?

Jessi, May 12, 2012
  2. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Two syllable names are a good starter.Try calling aloud the name of a dog say Ben when you are out on a windy day.The word is lost. Often we put an i or y at the end to yell it out louder.
    Names are something that seem to come easy enough to us for our lovely pooch. I had a puppy which we called little Tacca (meaning little person), it being quite a small dog. This eventually became Tacca. Here's a funny story.
    I had two police office come to my property to serve a restraining order on a friend of mine by his wife. He was staying with us but was not there on that day. Our dog raced down the driveway to greet the officers who were out of their vehicle.Tacca was jumping all over the woman police officer in her neat uniform. I yelled out Tacca Tacca. I realized it could have been heard at a distance as attack her, attack her! oops.Dogs can get you in the pickle.

argon_0, May 12, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  3. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

We usually name our dogs based on their appearances just like whitey.
    We also use famous dog names like Dinky and Lassie.
    And our current dog was named because of his behavior. ;)

zararina, May 12, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lmao!!! Oh no, that would be awful, especially in the company of police officers! Did they say anything to you about it or did they even notice?

Jessi, May 12, 2012
  5. Jessi

Here in Australia the police are quite chilled. I felt sorry for the woman officer with all the muddy prints all over her. I guess it's like postman and others who come across dogs of one type or another all the time.
    I have another true tale of when my girlfriend and I owned a dog called Nip some 35 years ago. Maybe I should keep that for next time.:rolleyes:
    What's in a name? Well, it could be everything. Choose carefully.

argon_0, May 13, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Based on your story, we should probably practice them like we do baby names. You know how some parents will yell their child's first and middle name when they're upset, even when the middle name isn't frequently yelled otherwise? Well with a dog's name, it should be yelled repeatedly to make sure it sounds good still. ;)

Jessi, May 13, 2012
  7. Jessi

vida New Member

I has no clue what to name my dog. It is a German Shepard, so the name had to suit the breed. could not call it cutie or chubby, or something like that . So I ran a google search on the top names for dogs and we zeroed on the spike. It's short and suits him too.

vida, May 13, 2012
  8. Jessi

King Browny Well-Known Member

At first, I based my dogs name on my favorite TV and books characters that I think are awesome like Jarod (The Pretender), Adam (The Visitor), Sarah (the Little Princess) and Paul Muad’dib (Dune). Then I started naming them based on their looks or where they came from like Cow and Moo (with black and white spots), Whitenow (White+snow because it’s pure white), Copper (because of the brown-black fur that gives a copper-colored effect), Browny (because it’s pure brown), Shooter (because he always finds his mom’s nipples the fastest than the other litters), Tisay (which means "mestiza" because her white and light brown fur made her look like a mestiza) and Boom Boom (after his mom Boombera). And yes, I also make sure it wouldn’t be more than 2-3 syllables, easy for the dog calling and easier for dogs to get used to. The next time that I get a dog I am thinking of giving it a unique name. That which I think is never been named to a dog before.

King Browny, May 14, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  9. Jessi

I will start with one I have been tempted to use for years.
    BLACK HAVOC
    I joking use it on Mishka when I want her to be brave.:eek:

argon_0, May 14, 2012
  10. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't really have a method for naming. I go more with liking the way a name sounds. We were into geographic names at the time I got my Lab. My sister's dog was named Shasta and her cat was named Reba (a name I came up with). Both are mountains in California. I went through the atlas and came up with Sierra. I liked the way it rolled off my tongue.

I came up with Misha beforehand. It was a name I liked and I decided that some day I would name a dog Misha. The next one I got was the Jack Russell and the name seemed to suit her.

I seem to like two syllable names with an "a" sound at the end.

Melody, May 16, 2012
Ask a Question