Pet First Aid: Are You Prepared?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

by Sid Kirchheimer

[​IMG]

It’s “Pet First Aid Awareness Month.”

Hmmm, maybe just a coincidence or perfectly planned timing by the American Red Cross to promote awareness (and prepareness) among pet owners?

After all, besides that other April angst impetus, what else "taxes" emotions with fear and feelings of helplessness more than when a beloved pet is suddenly injured or ill, and you know that seconds count – but have no pet first aid kit?

Ready-made kits are sold that offer convenience – and ideally, an instructional manual – but if you prefer to stock your own kit for home and car, here’s what to include:

Paperwork: Phone numbers for your veterinarian, nearby emergency-veterinary clinics and a poison control center hotline such as that run by the ASPCA at 1-888-426-4435. Also keep a copy of medical records, including rabies and other vaccines, and a recent photo in case your pet gets lost.

Gauze: For wrapping wounds and muzzling injured pets.

Nonstick bandages, pads and clean cloth strips or towel: To help control bleeding and cover wounds.

Adhesive tape: To secure gauze or nonstick bandages. Human adhesive bandages such as Band-Aids should not pet used on pets, says the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Blunt-end scissors: Handy to cut fur that’s covering up a wound, or to free pets trapped in some kind of entanglement.

Antibiotic ointment: Check with a vet before using antibiotic ointment where pets can lick it.

http://www.pet360.com/dog/health/pet-first-aid-are-you-prepared/OQ9_hcwEVEazN4wLC7i6qg?extcid=yahshn

Trellum, Apr 16, 2014
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

Great to know that there are first aid kits available for dogs.
    It is really needed to be aware since our dogs cannot really tell us if there is something wrong with them, we need to be observant and ready.

zararina, May 1, 2014
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I have a really big pet first aid kit, I think we're prepared for almost everything:) Homer is my dearest treasure, I want him to be safe and happy. Sometimes I think that I worry about him too much and I'm overprotective, but I can't help it. I love him:)

claudine, May 28, 2014
  4. Trellum

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

I have multiple first aid kits in general. I don't have one that is specifically for the pets, though. So while I have most of those supplies, I would just dig into my own first aid supply to treat any of my pets.

Jessi, May 28, 2014
  5. Trellum

Skyspiritflfl Member

Thank you, you have reminded me that not only do I need to set up a First Aid Kit for Pepper; As we live in a Tsunami zone we also need to update our emergency evac plans to include her food and meds' - something I hadn't thought of recently but will get on that ASAP - Peace and Love to the Pooches and their People

Skyspiritflfl, Sep 22, 2014
  6. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I heard that many dogs and other pets get lost during tsunamis. It's really horrible:( I feel so very sorry for them and their owners!
    We live on an island. It's a flood zone, so I need to have an evacuation plan for my dog too.

claudine, Oct 21, 2014
Ask a Question