Pet Doors

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by cluckeyo, May 29, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

I used to spend a lot of time opening and closing the door for my pets. One of the greatest things we have done is put in pet doors. It took a few days for them to train onto the little passageways, but once they did, they have never looked back. They love their pet doors. Valentine, will occasionally have an upset digestive system and I would find the evidence on the floor in the morning. Now she goes right outside to take care of that. There have been no accidents since we put in those doors. I leave an outside light on every night, so that she can see well and have some protection if she does go out at night. The pet doors have been a great addition the house.

cluckeyo, May 29, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. cluckeyo

claudine Well-Known Member

This sounds wonderful. I hope one day my dad will put in pet doors too. Our Homer loves going outside, we have to open the door for him a few times per hour. It can be quite annoying.

claudine, May 29, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Corzhens Well-Known Member

If you remember the olden tv series Lassie, that's where I first saw a dog door. It was in the kitchen and the dog door was part of the screen door. It's cute to have that for the dog but I don't know with our dogs because I prefer that they call our attention when they want to go out. Especially our youngest dog Barbie, she run to the doorway and peer at the glass door at the slightest sound of an intruder, be it humans or animals. Particularly the voice of children, that would summon Barbie from her perch in the sofa. Now if we have a dog door, I'm sure Barbie would just be outside the house all the time.

With the call of nature, our dogs are trained for that. They call our attention by going to the doorway before barking at us. And the way their tails wag, that's an indication that they need to heed the call of nature.

Corzhens, May 29, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That sounds wonderful and if the pet door works for you; it is even better! I have thought of having pet door when we were at our old home but the winter her is brutal, and the heat bill will be astronomical if there is an opening somewhere.

My dog will let us know if he needs to go outside, and he has sensitive stomach too. He usually lets know and his behavior also change, so we know to rush him outside.

IcyBC, May 30, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

remnant Well-Known Member

Most people don't include pet doors among their priorities. Most dogs remain contained in their cages due to rigid doors. The best doors for pets are revolving doors. It should not be hard for the pet owner to teach the dog how to operate them. One method is to place a plate outside with some raw meat or other favourite food and then teach them to open the doors by gently pushing them against them thanks to the fact that they are fast learners.

remnant, Jul 27, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

mkhtk79 Member

While I like the idea of pet doors, and know they work for other people, I don't know if I'd install one myself. I'd be paranoid of racoons, opposums, or other critters getting into the house. Or maybe even someone using it to break in or even use it as a way to steal or poison my dogs.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question