Perfumes and air fresheners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Does your dog have any particular opinion on the scents used around the house? For example, if you use a particular air freshener, do they try to stay outside and avoid the house? If you use a particular deodorant, are they all over you for the rest of the day?
    We never used any air fresheners in our house. If anyone used deodorant, it would be just before they went out for the day. As a result, our dogs probably never really formed any opinion on these things.

GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

I noticed that Homer sneezes when I'm applying my perfume - he always accompanies me in the morning, when I'm getting ready for my classes. I've tried different scents but his reaction is always the same - he sneezes and wrinkles his nose, it's quite funny. Fortunately he doesn't mind me wearing perfumes during the day, he just doesn't like when I'm applying it.

claudine, May 10, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I guess I really wouldn't know what Mishka thinks of air fresheners or perfumes. We never use them here. Having asthma is a reason for me to not use them. When we use dog products deodorants, sunscreen, soaps or whatever we tend to buy perfume free. I had asked the groomer once not to use perfume soap on Mishka but she forgot and we had to put up with the smell for a short time. I'll be sure to ask politely but firmly not to use these products.
    Personally I think Mishka prefers to smell like a smelly dog. :confused:

argon_0, May 13, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

I am not fond of perfumes and fresheners especially those with strong smells so, our dog doe not need be irritated with these smells. :p

zararina, May 13, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

trishgl Well-Known Member

In deference to my dog's sensitive nose I never spray perfume or air fresheners in her presence. I read that their noses are 50x more sensitive than ours and I assume they would feel mighty irritated if I used some. My dog hardly ever goes to the bathroom though and just for that room I use scented candles. To lessen odors in the house though I do place some baking soda in the garbage bins and other places.

trishgl, May 16, 2013
Ask a Question