People Who Aren't Cut Out to Work in the Pet Industry

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Oct 4, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I've been reading some dog news in the internet and while I was listening about the dog who got lost while in the groomers, I was quite surprised when the groomer offered to have the dog replaced because he couldn't find where she was.

Why would he say that? Don't you think it's a little offensive no matter how sincere the intention was?

Don't you think they should add another requirement in working in the pet industry such as "must honest to goodness love pets"?

haopee, Oct 4, 2012
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, in my opinion they definitely should add it. Animals just know if a person likes them or not. They can feel it. I wouldn't like to be taken care of by somebody who doesn't like humans:p .

claudine, Oct 4, 2012
  3. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Do you mean someone took their beloved pooch to get groomed and it went missing?:confused: No that must be all but impossible you would think. Then they offered the grieving customer another dog? No that is so insensitive. The Groomers should be closed down.
    Here's another horrific dog grooming story. All I can add is to ensure you can trust your groomers with your pets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...el-burned-death-drying-cage-dog-groomers.html

argon_0, Oct 5, 2012
  4. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

What??

Why on earth would somebody go into that sort of business if they didn't like dogs anyway? It's not like it's an extremely lucrative business....or an easy one..... so somehow desirable to all people. I would only expect people who enjoyed animals to want to go into it. :S

Jessi, Oct 5, 2012
  5. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is as bad as the daycare center I heard about on the news recently losing track of a kid who actually walked out their front door into the parking lot. Fortunately the kid was found unharmed but that doesn't let the daycare off the hook, anymore then this pet groomer should be left off the hook. I will give the daycare some credit (not much though) they didn't offer to get the parents another kid. Not a funny joke I know, but when you think about it for some of us dog owners or even pet owners for that matter, our pets are our children. You wouldn't tell a parent oh will just get you another kid to replace the one we lost, so you shouldn't be telling a dog owner after you lose their beloved dog that you'll get them a new dog. Please, I hope this family doesn't let this dog groomer off the hook, even if they have to take their story to the news media, and rake the place over the coals. It would serve this person right.

pafjlh, Oct 5, 2012
  6. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

I think there will always be people in any profession who do it to earn a paycheck. This story about the missing dog is disconcerting. Did they contact the owner right away? How the heck do you lose a dog at the groomers?

I can't see how offering to replace the dog is helpful. They should have helped the owner contact shelters and veterinary offices to see if the dog showed up. Then, they should have helped them search the neighborhood for the dog. To have an "oh well" attitude is inexcusable.

Melody, Oct 6, 2012
  7. haopee

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Wow that is terrible. However, it reminds me of those who try to work in the child care profession and they treat the kids like garbage. I don't understand why people go into this line of work, when they really do not truly love what they do.

They should definitely add what you mentioned in the requirement for all pet industry jobs, as well as child care.

dashboardc33, Oct 6, 2012
  8. haopee

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe that. Pets are not ipods that you can replace. They're part of the family even. And how you can lose a pet when you're a groomer is just beyond me, you'd have to be record breakingly irresponsible.

Nick87, Oct 7, 2012
    Melody likes this.
  9. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Any time they're not in a cage or kennel of some sort, they're on a leash or in a tub, etc. At what point would a dog even be out of someone's sight? And then, beyond that, how would it make it outside? :S

Jessi, Oct 7, 2012
  10. haopee

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

That's absurd. I would find it extremely odd if a pet groomer didn't like animals, and wouldn't take anything I owned to a groomer that didn't. Not that I actually use a pet groomer, I do all my animal maintenance myself. I recently had to advise a lady who owns a Bichon Frise, to stop listening to her dog's groomer in terms of dietary advice for her dog. She was telling her to feed her dog one of the worst foods on the market, (it's full of colours and preservatives that make dogs hyper and anxious) and that dogs shouldn't be fed raw meat under any circumstances. I laughed and then corrected the stoopid.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 8, 2012
  11. haopee

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

My sister works for a dog groomer. She makes decent pay and is still in high school. However, the job is EXTREMELY tough and tedious. It can take up to 2-3 hours to groom a single dog if they're in desperate need of a grooming.

pilot2fly, Oct 8, 2012
  12. haopee

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

You think this is bad, I used to work in a building that had an adult daycare facility right next to it. We used to get senior citizens from it wandering into our office all the time, spaced out. We knew they were from next door because they would all wear name tags. It was kind of an awkward call, but we would have to give them a ring and be like "um, yeah, we got one of your people over here again..."

OhioTom76, Oct 9, 2012
  13. haopee

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Now THAT is weird. But I guess it isn't unexpected. Some older people have memory loss and can end up in a place they think is the nursing home. It happens often, actually. But still, strange nonetheless.

pilot2fly, Oct 9, 2012
  14. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

This is just horrible. These people should be required of a freaking license. Who'd be stupid enough to put a hot blower in front of a cage to dry a dog? The pictures were awful. I couldn't help think about what these people do when we aren't watching them.

This was really bad. The owner should be sued for negligence or something.

haopee, Oct 10, 2012
  15. haopee

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

The animal care industry, is just another way for people to be greedy, and make stupid amounts of money. Medication, grooming services, training, any other type of care, it's all grossly overpriced. It makes me sick quite frankly, and so I am all for self maintenance and making sure my dogs get all the healthy food, care and attention they need at home.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 10, 2012
  16. haopee

Lex Active Member

Oh, yes. "Must honest to goodness love pets" should definitely be a requirement for anyone who wants to work in the pet industry and/or just around pets. Pets are, to most people, part of their family. They aren't a "thing" that is easily replaced if lost, which is something the owner of that groomer obviously did not know.

Lex, Jan 10, 2013
  17. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

That was very irresponsible of the groomer. I'm not sure what his/her intentions were in offering to replace the dog. Maybe they were real nervous and wanted to make things right? I'm curious how you can know whether this groomer indeed does love pets or not. They do seem to be negligent and irresponsible, but that's as much as I can say based on the information.

shdws, Jan 15, 2013
Ask a Question