Paralyzed dogs walk again

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I think this is a fascinating story. I wonder what might be made of this medical advancement as it relates to dogs and humans.

Dogs with spinal cord injuries were used in a research study. This study used cells from the nose that were injected into the injury site. These were "olfactory ensheathing cells". These cells were used because they keep growing throughout ones life.

The cells were taken from the dog's nose canals, then grown in a lab. According to the report, these cells regenerated nerve fibers in the injured area. Many of the dogs were able to walk after the treatment. Some regained bladder function as well.

What is interesting is these were not research animals. They were dogs owned by people. These dogs were suffering from injuries that might benefit from the treatment.

Though they are cautious, there could be potential for helping humans. Researchers already suspected that OECs could be used in this way.

Anyway, it is an interesting medical development:
    http://www.care2.com/causes/paralyzed-dogs-walk-again-thanks-to-nose-cells.html

Melody, Nov 26, 2012
  2. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is quite interesting to find out. Yes, some may not like the idea of dogs being used in the study. But when you stop to think of the fact that these dogs really had nothing to lose with being used in the study, because the only alternative was to have them put to sleep, I can see why some owners would agree to let their dogs be used. Who knows where this could lead, we're finding out more and more about human cells in scientific research. Apparently not just stem cells as first believed can regenerate areas of the body.

pafjlh, Nov 26, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's so interesting! And wonderful. I'm so glad they were able to help some dogs - I hope they'll cure more of them in the future. There is nothing sadder than a dog who can't walk:(

claudine, Nov 26, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I was fascinated by the idea that they used dogs that had been injured with permission of their owners. I think this is a far better option than giving an animal a spinal cord injury, then using them for an experiment. I remember after my Collie died the veterinarian asked if we would donate her body to a lab so that they could research the rare sinus problem she had (it affects Collies only). We said yes. It was kind of nice knowing that she might benefit other dogs in the future. I wish I had thought to do the same with Sierra. As a cancer survivor, they might have learned a lot from her autopsy and how she survived 3 1/2 years after diagnosis.

Pafjlh, so much of what we have developed that benefits humans starts in veterinary medicine. I know people who think it's frivolous to give a dog a prosthetic leg or to do surgery. But, we've learned so much from these efforts that benefist humans, too. I know that new treatments have opened up for human amputees because of things they've developed in veterinary medicine.

Melody, Nov 26, 2012
  5. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, this is an amazing research in many ways. The first, of course, is that it's done without the usual tragedy of using lab animals which are terminated after the research is done. However, the most interesting part would be the potential of those ever-growing cells. There are a whole plethora of applications that I can foresee.

Victor Leigh, Nov 27, 2012
  6. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

The cells are the interesting part. I have read that stem cells show the most promise because they are easier to work with. But, it looks like there are many different types of cells in living beings that have the potential to be taught to grow into something other than what they were originally meant for. That is really fascinating to me. I remember when I took biology umpteen years ago that we were taught cells had one job, whatever that job was, and they performed it. But, it looks like we've learned a lot since the 1970s and that cells are not so single focused when manipulated.

Melody, Nov 27, 2012
  7. Melody

shdws Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful story with a very happy ending. I find it very interesting that these were not research animals but instead were dogs owned by people. I'm sure the owners were thrilled with the results.

shdws, Jan 3, 2013
Ask a Question