Oh Dear, Vet Bills Again

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Aug 2, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I just hate realizing that almost half of my earnings go to vet bills. On the other hand, I am relieved that they are safe and not neglected. However, it just hurts my pocket.

We have a pack of 9 dogs. Imagine spending on topical medicines to kill parasites...With one dog, it'll cost about $10... with 9... that'd be $90. Then there are instances that a vet visits cost more than just the treatments.

Anyway, if there's one thing I always put into practice it's the saying "prevention is better than cure".

Oh Vet Bills.... Sigh.

haopee, Aug 2, 2013
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I spend so much money on Homer. No only on vet bills, but also on food. His favorite food is expensive:( I'm pretty sure that I couldn't afford having more than one...or maybe two dogs, at least not now. I can't imagine having 9 dogs:p

claudine, Aug 2, 2013
  3. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

It was right that prevention is better than cure so that there will be no regrets if there will be no preventive measures. Having a dog could be costly and the most number of dogs we have is just 3.

zararina, Aug 2, 2013
  4. haopee

millenia New Member

Prevention is definitely better than the cure. Treating your yard for fleas is cheaper than treating your dogs. Just like feeding good food is cheaper than the vet bills incurred from cheap dog food. We have to use heartworm prevention monthly, yes, but topical medicines for fleas can be avoided most of the year.

millenia, Aug 2, 2013
  5. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

When it comes to our pet's health and vet bills it pays to look at the overall picture and crunch numbers a bit to keep the costs manageable. I understand your predicament about the meds to treat parasites as they can burn a hole through one's pocket. I've taken to monitoring the area where my chow stays for parasites and religiously bathing my dog with a herbal soap that discourages tick and flea infestation twice a week. I've also started reading the labels of dog food brands and I buy those that have more of the vitamins my dog needs instead of buying cheap dog food plus dog vitamins which ultimately cost more.

trishgl, Aug 11, 2013
  6. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

It can be costly having a dog. Having 9 must really be difficult. Veterinary bills can really be expensive. My sister's dog recently has had trouble with UTIs. She's been treated several times since May, each time having a urine test to identify the bacteria. Then, she had an ultrasound to see if there was something else because the antibiotics weren't really working. So far, the medications and tests have been about $1000. If the current round of antibiotics don't work, she'll have to get scoped. So, more charges.

Those are the hard choices we have to make. You have to weigh all these things out. Will something prevent a problem? will it improve their quality of life? Will it only prolong their suffering?

I have to take Misha in every 6-7 months to have her anal glands checked because she has had problems with ruptures the last year and a half. It's one more cost. But, paying $50 or so twice a year to have them checked is a lot cheaper than waiting for the rupture. Then, it's the cost of the procedure to clean them out plus the medications (3 meds last time). That is way more costly in the long run.

Melody, Aug 21, 2013
Ask a Question