Off topic to be sure - a horrible tragedy here in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by SweetBeast, Dec 14, 2012.

1. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I send my sincere thoughts & prayers to the families & friends of those shot & killed this morning here in the U.S., in the state of Connecticut. A 24 year old coward, shot & killed 20 children & 5 adults, then himself, at a grade school. 2 victims are his mother & brother.

I realize this is a Dog Forum, & it is Off Topic, but if you have religion or not, I ask you to please say a quick prayer or send a healing thought to the family & friends of those that lost their lives.

These sweet & beautiful children were between 5-10 years of age, looking forward to Christmas, then their entire lives ahead of them. And also, the poor little children that witnessed this needless & cowardly act...

God bless them now & always, & help the survivors if at all possible, to somehow move forward in their now broken lives.

May the victims forever rest in peace.....

Thank you for your time.......

Craig

SweetBeast, Dec 14, 2012
  2. SweetBeast

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It is a tragedy these shootings occur and I have strong opinions on gun ownership which I wont go into.
    We can only hope it will never happen again.:(

argon_0, Dec 15, 2012
  3. SweetBeast

Agreed argon_0. Every day, I ask our dear Lord to bless & protect each & every child & animal from the likes of this type of "person".

However, I am sick & tired of innocent people, especially children, being deliberately killed by another piece of garbage. I have my ideas too but I am not as politically correct as you, so I will get this off my chest. Then I will not share my opinion on this again, but my prayers will continue. I don't really want this to turn into a debate. That said, the U.S. has more gun deaths, per capita, than most any other nation. The UK, Canada, Japan, has strict gun laws, therefore, they have a small fraction of what we here in the U.S. have. Our Forefathers had no idea of the types of weapons when the 2nd Amendment was put in place, so I am tired of that old debate.

Lastly, the stale argument that "people kill people" is a joke - as I ask what is the common denominator ? Yes, guns, hand guns, semiautomatic & automatic weapons!

No parent should have to say goodbye to a child so young, at the hands of this coward! These children, who were shot & killed 10 hours ago, their little bodies are still in the school & their parents can't yet even collect their young ones.

Thanks for your patience to whomever reads this

Also for the sake of validity, it was reported that the murderer was 24 - he in fact was 20.

SweetBeast, Dec 15, 2012
  4. SweetBeast

zararina Well-Known Member

Prayers for them and really hope it will never happen again.
    So sad to know about it, its been all over the news.

zararina, Dec 17, 2012
  5. SweetBeast

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Its such an unspeakable tragedy. Still can't believe something so horrible has actually happened. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victims, and those in this community dealing with what has happened there.

pafjlh, Dec 17, 2012
  6. SweetBeast

Bloomsie Member

It is such a terrible tragedy. They all didn't deserve the way they all died, however, take it as a sign that because of them, new laws will be created to prevent more from happening. According to Obama, he's going to do everything in his power in office to ensure the safety of schools and more. And thank all the brave victims who stood up and saved others in their place.

This may sound morbid and terrible (but stay with me)... I'm glad that the 20 year old murderer did what he did. Because if he didn't commit that terrible tragedy, then nothing like what's happening now would have happened. SOMETHING is being done about it. Many schools throughout the US have had crimes such as that (maybe not as bad as the recent one) but it's definitely one of the main crimes that do occur. I mean, we all remember Columbine, right? What action was taken there? Surely we had yet another one a few days ago.

I don't mean anything in a rude or offensive way, but more through enlightenment of what this terrible tragedy realistically brought to everyone. A better understanding and most importantly, better safety. :)

Bloomsie, Dec 19, 2012
  7. SweetBeast

argon_0 Well-Known Member

glad may sound a bit morbid but I can agree with the fact that events like this tragedy maybe are necessary for changes.
    In Tasmania we had an horrific mass shooting with assault rifles in 1996 when 35 people were killed at Port Arthur, a historical tourist attraction. Because of this incident, the Prime Minister at the time drastically changed gun laws in Australia. 650,000 weapons were handed in and over the years there has been amnesties for people to hand over illegal weapons.
    This figure represents one fifth of Australia's guns.
    If that amount were reduced in the USA, it would be 40 million weapons.

If it had not been for this tragedy in Australia, gun laws may have never of been changed.

argon_0, Dec 19, 2012
  8. SweetBeast

Zararina & pafjlh, thanks for your kind words & prayers as they are truly welcomed by those affected. I am a firm believer in prayer & I also feel those that are prayed for, feel the prayers. Thanks again.

Bloomise & argon_0, I hear you both & understand, nothing rude or offensive taken, Bloomise. Some great points by you both. I heard on talk radio the other night, some caller said" I can place a cocked gun on my table, leave for 10 years, come back & it's still cocked - it takes people to pull the trigger"!
    I tried to call but didn't make it through, but my answer to him? Had the gun not been there to begin with, then it would not have been cocked or ever used!

I realize there are many different dynamics at work in such a tragedy; the gun, mental illness or developmental issues, drugs, alcohol & I feel some video games should be banned!

To your points, I can relate a story, where that process kicked into me, 28 years ago. A dear friend of mine was working as a nurse & unfortunately, her shift ended at 2AM, the same time most bars here in California, close. She was struck head on & killed, by a previously convicted DWI low life; naturally, this idiot lived. I tried to rationalize, why her? I could only come up with an idea that had he not struck her, he may have hit another car with 3 kids, so instead of 1, 5 may have been saved - I don't know.

Suzanne was only 24 & oh so very sweet - will always miss you, my friend.....

SweetBeast, Dec 21, 2012
Ask a Question