Odd behavior

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Libragirl67, May 10, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Member

We have had Nashley for over 10 years now. We know he hates water and getting baths. But sometimes giving him a bath has to be done. Especially the other day when he came in the house and he reaked of feces. Like he rolled in it or something. So we started running bath water and we got out the dog shampoo. Nashley caught on to what was going to happen. So the chase around the house began. We finally got him cornered, and he looked me right in the eyes and stood there and peed on the carpet. He has never done anything like that before. Why did he do this??? Was this an act of aggression or anger? Or was he scared? He did not seem afraid.

Libragirl67, May 10, 2013
  2. Libragirl67

jowjo5 Active Member

Hmm, I am not sure why. I wonder if he suddenly just is afraid of some aspect of the water. We have one dog who is afraid of the dog brush, he will shake and quiver, but it has to be done.

Maybe offer a distraction while giving him a bath? Maybe have someone else give him rewards every so often during the bath? I have to do this with my dog while brushing him. Eventually I am hoping he won't be so afraid of the brushing. He is long haired and it needs to be done.

jowjo5, May 12, 2013
  3. Libragirl67

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I guess Nashley peed because he was being subservient to you and was afraid. Don't forget you chased and captured him so he felt like he had lost the battle.
    When we wash Mishka we talk to her gently and then collar her with her lead and keep her tied up inside until the tub is prepared on the veranda. She has already lost the fight to be washed so the only struggle she does is whether to stand or sit in her tin tub.
    What breed of dog is Nashley?

argon_0, May 13, 2013
  4. Libragirl67

zararina Well-Known Member

I think he peed because he was scared.
    Maybe giving him a bath often could lessen his hate of water and the bathing activity. :D

zararina, May 13, 2013
  5. Libragirl67

amundy8 Active Member

Sounds like Nashley was afraid, like some children do when they are upset or uncomfortable, especially if he does not usually react this way. It may be a similar reaction some dogs get when they leave their comfort zone. I have heard of this even when they are moved to a new location. Hopefully, he will cooperate if you give him a reward for getting into the tub. He can be conditioned to cooperate each time.

amundy8, May 14, 2013
  6. Libragirl67

Melody Well-Known Member

I would guess it was feared. He heard the bath water and knew that he was getting a bath--which he hates. You chased him which added to his anxiety.

If your dog gets this anxious about taking baths, I wonder if a discussion with your Vet over maybe using a small sedative would be in order. You'd only use it for bath time. Misha is terrified of going to the Vets (a long story, she wasn't like this originally). The last time she went, I had sedatives on hand for this reason. It was a big help. She relaxed and relented. She let the Vet do everything she needed to do.

Melody, May 17, 2013
  7. Libragirl67

TheBrit Active Member

Normally just standing and peeing like that is a sign of fear. Bath water does seem to have a strange effect on dogs.
    I used to have a Golden Retriever, he loved water when we were out, quite happily running into the sea or streams to retrieve his ball or a stick. Bathtime, whole different ball game. He would stand shivering with ears down waiting to be lifted into the bath and remained in this pose the whole time while he was shampooed and rinsed.
    As soon as he was lifted out and towelled off he was back to his old self. We had to keep him in though. Get out and he headed for the first obnoxious smell he could find to roll in.

TheBrit, Jun 5, 2013
Ask a Question