Not Being There for Your Dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Nov 7, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine lose her dog and it really left me devastated as this dog was close to me too. I felt really bad for two days. Perhaps it's because the owner and I often talked about our dogs and have grown close.

What's worse is that I've also lost a dog in the same manner. I wasn't with him in the last minutes of his life. He died in a metal crate in the veterinarian's clinic. We were called 30 minutes later and informed of his death.

Have you ever experienced anything like this?

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
  2. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I feel very sorry for you and your friend, it is so sad, I'd be devastated too. I haven't experienced anything like this yet and I hope I never will. My aunt didn't go with her dog for the last visit in the veterinarian's clinic though because she said that she couldn't stand it.

claudine, Nov 7, 2012
  3. haopee

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Yes, in all three cases when my dogs died, I wasn't there. They were with my family and I was out of town. I've never actually seen one of my pets pass away, and I'm not sure how I would handle it to be honest. They didn't pass away alone or anything, but I do have a guilt trip over it, especially my oldest dog since that was the one I personally rescued from the pound and bonded with immediately.

OhioTom76, Nov 7, 2012
  4. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been there enough times when my dogs died. It's not the most pleasant of experiences. However I feel that since my dogs had been part of my good times, I should be there when they are ready to go, too. It's kind of like attending to an old person who is about to breathe his last. There's nothing to be done except to wait for the inevitable end.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
Ask a Question