New member of the pack! :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jalisa7, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jalisa7

Jalisa7 Member

Hey everyone! Just registered here today. I have just one dog of my own, a 14 (almost 15) week old pup named Kes (aka Starfleet's Ocampa Voyager Kes, for any Trekkies out there ;)).

I'd always wanted my own dog and I fell in love with beagles a few years ago. To make a long story short, my father surprised me with Kes as a late b-day this year. Unfortunately, my father passed away just a week after we brought her home :( It was unexpected and I am still grieving.... but honestly I am so happy that things worked out the way they did when we got her... she was his last gift to me... he picked her out, and he helped me name her, so she reminds me of him every time I look at her.

Anywho, life goes on, right? This is my first puppy ever so I'm gonna be needing LOTS of advice. Due to the circumstances I haven't been able to dedicate enough time to training. She is still having accidents in the house, almost daily, and it's very hard to get her focused on me. And it's very hard to train a puppy that won't give you the time of day. I mean.. If there's no ham/hot dogs involved, she really couldn't care less. Hopefully I can get some good advice on here though.

Jalisa7, Apr 29, 2012
  2. Jalisa7

zararina Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jalisa.
    Sorry about your father and nice to know that you have your precious gift from him. You can read useful information on different threads here and feel free to join the discussions.
    Have a nice day. ;)

zararina, Apr 30, 2012
  3. Jalisa7

argon_0 Well-Known Member

So sad for you Jalisa7. Welcome to having the best friend ever, your dog Kes.
    He's still learning and you will need to be patient. Don't get too angry when he gets it wrong because he really wants to do the right thing by you. Dogs have been bred to be our companions. There are lots of dog owners here who can give you lots of advise.:)

argon_0, May 2, 2012
  4. Jalisa7

King Browny Well-Known Member

"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves and then we have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos."
    - Snoopy, a beagle like your pet

Welcome to the forum! :D

King Browny, May 2, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. Jalisa7

Becky Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your father, but I'm glad you have an extra-special way to remember him :)

Kes looks adorable! Welcome to the forums.

Becky, May 2, 2012
  6. Jalisa7

Jalisa7 Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Loved the quote, King Browny (nice name too!) :)

Argon, that is definitely something I need to work on. I have a short temper and tend to get frustrated very easily especially when she doesn't listen. I will have to learn to be more patient with her.

Again thanks everyone. I can tell I'm gonna enjoy it here!

Jalisa7, May 2, 2012
  7. Jalisa7

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Dear Jalisa,

As all here, I join them in expressing my sincere thoughts & prayers to you for your loss. This may be of little help, but your sweet father is never further away than your heart - he left you a lifetime of memories you will forever carry with you.

And Kes is a very special little girl for you, & you for her. Patience can be a difficult virtue, but one day, she will just "get it" & all will be fine.

I was very lucky as Bobbi was housebroken, but that said, I didn't know here potty habits, so I walked her maybe 6 times a day at first, to learn her schedule. They don't have to be long walks, but get her outside as often as you can, so you can determine the times she will usually go. And when she does go, reward her with love & a lot of "good girls" & "good Kes" !

I wish you the best, Jalisa & to Kes too!

Blessings to you.....

SweetBeast, Dec 8, 2012
  8. Jalisa7

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your dad, but now you have an amazing amimal to remind you of his presence! Welcome to the club, its a great place to be.

lifeliveson, Apr 5, 2013
Ask a Question