Natural remedies for ear infections

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Libragirl67, May 4, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Member

Anyone who happens to have a dog with floppy ears may be able to relate to this. Our black lab gets ear infections quite a bit. Iam looking for an all natural alternative to heal these infections. I do not want to keep puting chemicals in his ears. Does anyone know of any all natural remedies for his ears?

Libragirl67, May 4, 2013
  2. Libragirl67

MzMonka Well-Known Member

There are a few that you can use but I would question why other than floppy ears he might be getting them. I have a female that has a food allergy and that is how we found out. She kept getting ear infections and turns out it was a reaction to a food allergy.

You can take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water and give it to him to drink and also flush the ear out with it. It will return the natural balance to his system. Another option is green tea. You boil 2 green tea bags in the amount of water they say, let it sit for 15 minutes. Once it is cooled you can flush his ear with it 2 times a day. Will help with the pain if he has any and also clear it up.

MzMonka, May 5, 2013
  3. Libragirl67

trishgl Well-Known Member

According to my Vet you first need to flush the ear out with warm water to remove irritants that can block your home remedy from reaching the infected area. Make sure the water is not too hot. Then combine equal parts of oil of mullein and garlic oil. This will kills viruses, reduce the swelling and helps manage pain. Apply five drops of this mixture every day for 10 days. You might also want to give your pet a vitamin c supplement to boost his/her immune system. Ask you Vet first though.

trishgl, Jun 27, 2013
  4. Libragirl67

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice to read the possible natural remedies for dog ear infections in this thread. :)
    Our female dog before used to have an ear infection and we tried to treat it by putting powder penicillin from it (there is also a wound or something on that infection), it does worked for her but not sure if that was really safe for dogs. Good thing it just worked for her fine.

zararina, Jul 2, 2013
  5. Libragirl67

claudine Well-Known Member

Fortunately, Homer has never had any ear infections. But I still find this thread really helpful, because I prefer to be prepared for anything. With such a vivid, energetic and delicate dog you never know what is going to happen. Thank you for sharing.

claudine, Jul 29, 2013
Ask a Question