Naming your dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Dec 1, 2011.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

What is your puppy or dog’s name and why do you name him/her that?

My girl Shakira (we also call her mama Shacky) is named after the Latin feminine soloist Shakira. Her original owner is a big fan of the singer. I didn’t bother changing her name because at her age (she was 3 when she was given to me) she’s too accustomed with her name and she won’t respond anymore to a new one.

My male dog’s name is Browny. I got his name from his thick fur shade. He is colored brown and he has light brown eyes. I guess I’m not really fond of him by the time he was born that’s why I didn’t bother naming him with a unique one. That’s the reason why, as he grows up, I added the term King whenever I write his name somewhere as soon enough he became one of the center of my life. And also, I guess it’s been a tradition of the family to name them after what they look like. I had a pup that I named Fat-pup because he’s plump. Another one’s Copper because he has shiny copper shade of fur. Another one’s name is Shooter Van Dread, Shooter in short, because he was really fast in finding the nipples when he needed to suck milk. And he has frightening look. He looks more like a monkey than a pup. :p

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  2. King Browny

BeachHut Active Member

Our oldest dog's name had no meaning at all, my sister just thought the name "Bulinggetirs" was cute. :)
    We named two of her puppies Hachiko and Lassie which obviously names of famous dogs. We named the only male "Bentot" which was my father's nickname. We named him after my father because it was my father's birthday when they were born. :)

BeachHut, Dec 1, 2011
  3. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I named my Bangkeaw, Candy, for a very simple reason. She came with a birth certificate which said that her mother was named Cookie and her father was named Football. So daughter of Cookie became Candy.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  4. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

My oldest dog (on the left side of my profile pic) had died last October and we named her Lazzie which is a common and famous name of dog. And the other one (right side) was named Kulit which means persistent or stubborn in English. He was really persistent to get our attention before and so we had adopted him. And he was really stubborn when its playtime and its eating time. :p He seems to be really excited when it was eating time already and when he was welcoming us coming home.

zararina, Dec 1, 2011
  5. King Browny

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

My dog, Beau, is actually "Beausoleil," after the zydeco band. His son, in my avatar, is "Vintage Beausoleil" after the band's retro album. His son's call name is "Rider," though, due to something that happened when he was born.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 1, 2011
  6. King Browny

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog's name is Zoltan. He used to be a punter for the University of Michigan (and it's funny because we are Ohio State fans) and when I first heard his name I remarked "That sounds more like a dog's name." That day we decided we would name our next dog Zoltan. We usually just call him Zol or ZOlie though

MakingCents, Dec 2, 2011
  7. King Browny

Oh, I see. So Kulit means that in English. In Malay, 'kulit' means the skin. Before you explained, I was wondering how your dog got a Malay name. Now I know.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  8. King Browny

summerRain Well-Known Member

My male Shih Tzu's name is Chao Kuang Yin. He was named after the Chinese Emperor during the Sung Dynasty. When I purchased that dog, Asian Civilization is one of my subjects and I really had some difficulty on remembering that name (Chao Kuang Yin) so I decided to give that name to my dog. From then until now, I can still remember the full name of that emperor! I used my dog for my studying strategy. LOL

summerRain, Dec 2, 2011
  9. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

There are some Filipino words that sounds or written like Malay words since our language is said to be influenced by it. Although it could be pronounced a little different and might have different meaning just like the word Kulit. ;)

zararina, Dec 2, 2011
  10. King Browny

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

My dog name is Oscar. When i first got him he would act like an old man to me. I would always
    laugh and joke and say that if he was human he would be sitting up reading a book with prescription
    glasses on. I figured to call him Oscar. This was always funny to me. Hes my little old man!

PuppyChow, Dec 2, 2011
    LoupGarouTFTs likes this.
  11. King Browny

Nick87 Well-Known Member

As a kid I tried to name my family's first dog as spot, but my brother refused that name and said he'd call him whatever name he chooses no matter what the rest of the family says. So, we went with my brother's name choice so the dog wouldn't be confused all the time.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  12. King Browny

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I was just reading the most common names for dogs and 2 of my daughter's 3 dogs have names on the list...Buddy and Duke...I always kid them on how boring their names are! My dogs in the past have been already named as I adopted them from other people mostly, but I shortened Angel to Angie and Brunhilda to Bruna.....the only dogs I got to name were Tory (Victoria) and Carmen (a chihuahua).....My cats are Romeo and Riff

SallyintheValley, Feb 6, 2012
  13. King Browny

My parents named the first dog I had "Lucky". It has something to do with the Chinese belief that when you call your dog "Lucky" and you summon your dog often "luck" would come your way.

Victor Leigh, Feb 7, 2012
  14. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

I wonder where they got the name Brunhilda. Here in the Philippines, there’s a term known as Bruhilda that means a mischievous witch or a playful mean girl. Does that definition match with Brunhilda? :)

King Browny, Feb 7, 2012
  15. King Browny

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I have no idea ha ha....she was a scruffy looky terrier mix and very energetic but didn't have a mean bone in her body. I was thinking it was a German name.

SallyintheValley, Feb 7, 2012
Ask a Question