Nail trimming

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pilot2fly, Oct 1, 2012.

1. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Do you trim your dogs' nails? My sister works at the dog grooming place we take Trixie to and she goes about once or twice a month to get trimmed and groomed. I've heard it can be quite a hassle trying to trim a dogs nails.

pilot2fly, Oct 1, 2012
  2. pilot2fly

claudine Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dare to try. Homer really doesn't like when his paws are touched. I always ask a lady who cuts his hair to trim his nails too. There is a bigger chance that he won't bite her. If it was me, he would bite me without hesitation, this evil, little dog:p

claudine, Oct 2, 2012
  3. pilot2fly

Jessi Well-Known Member

We used to do it ourselves. He didn't seem to mind. He's old enough now, though, that his legs/paws hurt him and it's dangerous for us to do it ourselves. He might get snippy and bite one of us, and it wouldn't be his own fault. Instead, we take him to the groomer for it now, where they have special setups to make it easier.

Jessi, Oct 2, 2012
  4. pilot2fly

pafjlh Well-Known Member

We do trim our dogs nails when they let us. We once bought one of those rotary nail file things that you have seen advertised on TV. But guess what our dogs wouldn't sit still long enough for us to use it on them. I guess they didn't like the sound of it or even the feel.

pafjlh, Oct 2, 2012
  5. pilot2fly

Yeah our dog wouldn't like the feel either. It's weird because when she is at the groomer she is still, but if she's at home and gets a "home grooming" she fidgets all over the place. I guess she isn't used to it at home.

pilot2fly, Oct 2, 2012
  6. pilot2fly

haopee Well-Known Member

That's probably because she knows that home is her turf while the groomers isn't. My dog turns Cujo and barks at all the strangers at home while he's such an angel when we're at the vet/groomers.

I do trim my dogs nails but I'm often concerned that I may cut the quick because they jerk around and become uncomfortable after a long while. The first time I accidentally cut the quick it bled and that dog no longer allowed people to touch her paws.

haopee, Oct 3, 2012
  7. pilot2fly

Exactly right, haopee! My sister said the same thing. I'm always concerned I'll cut her nails too short and she'll yell in pain.

pilot2fly, Oct 3, 2012
  8. pilot2fly

lizzie29 Member

I always let the vet trim my dog's nails. I don't follow any schedule for my dog's nail trimming. I just ask the vet to cut her nails when it gets really long. I'm still really scared to trim her nails on my own because the vet said that the upper part in the nail is actually a part of her paw. I decided to be trained by the vet on how to trim my dog's nails properly before I actually do it on my own. I really don't want to hurt my dog so please be careful everyone. :)

lizzie29, Oct 10, 2012
Ask a Question