My two loonies: Lily and Sherlock

Discussion in 'Meet My Dog' started by Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

...Sherlock is ironic, because he's not very bright. Sherlock is my Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is a ball of complete and utter craziness. There are reasons for that, but I'll probably go into that in a more appropriate thread.

Lily, is my beautiful female Bull Mastiff, seen here jumping about in flood water:

[​IMG]

They're both rescues, and I love them utterly.

Some more photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What cracks me up about the flood photos, is that Lily is haring about like a plonker, Sherlock is very focused and looks like he's wishing death on something. Whilst Lily may be huge, she is the most gentle mannered dog, you could ever hope to come across.

[​IMG]

Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012
    haopee likes this.
  2. Evilsprinkles

haopee Well-Known Member

Oh wow, super relaxed! Looks like a photo fit for a spa campaign. Bull Mastiffs? Two for that matter? You must be pretty strong (or you've eventually grown muscles) if you haven't experienced being toppled down by Sherlock and Lily. How are they on walkies?

I'm not certain who is luckier, them for having been given forever homes or you for having been chosen by them.:D

haopee, Aug 17, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  3. Evilsprinkles

One of them is a Bull Mastiff, the other is a Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge. He's a bit smaller, but he has some SERIOUS strength behind him. And yes, I have developed some muscle tone since I adopted them. Lily, the one in the last photo, is the most laid back dog, ever. She is HUGE, but so gentle. She gives the best kisses ever. :D

Evilsprinkles, Aug 17, 2012
  4. Evilsprinkles

Becky Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that breed before, and I used to live in Dorset! That's what's great about forums - you learn something new everyday :)

Both are beautiful!

Becky, Aug 17, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

They're a bit of a rare breed, but I've got some information for you here:

Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge

Basically, the idea behind the breed, was to try and get it as close to how the original bulldog used to be before we made it fat, short, flat faced, and unable to move very fast. A bulldog today, wouldn't be able to do the job it originally did in the past. DOTB's are longer in the leg, have longer snouts, and can move extremely fast. The problem is, because they can BREATHE, the lunatic personality behind the original bulldog, has come right back out again. Now, that's not a problem in itself, but people expect a calm lazy dog, and then they get a DOTB, which is a massive ball of crazy, filled with endless energy. Mine is truly a lovely dog, but he is like Tigger on crack; completely and utterly off his rocker. I wouldn't have him any other way though.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  6. Evilsprinkles

This was taken a couple of hours ago, he jumped straight onto my partner's lap:

[​IMG]
    Lapdog by Emma Lou Grey, on Flickr

7. Evilsprinkles

haopee Well-Known Member

I think when it comes to dogs, we can all agree that size doesn't matter. No matter if it's only their paws and legs that fit our laps... even if it were only their cute big heads. We couldn't help but think of them as our babies.

haopee, Aug 20, 2012
  8. Evilsprinkles

I managed to capture something wonderful earlier, as Sherlock went for another cuddle. I am constantly amazed at how lovely he is, despite being so utterly nutty. He is all bounce one minute, and gentle cuddly fuzzbutt the next.

Taken earlier today:

[​IMG]
    Lapdog II by Emma Lou Grey, on Flickr

9. Evilsprinkles

Melody Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the photos! Those are some big, lovable dogs. It looks like your big dogs are more of lap dogs than my midget dog. LOL My brother has a Doberman that is about 100 lbs and he thinks he's a Yorkie. He's always trying to cram in on your lap or on the couch. In his defense, they have 3 small dogs, too. He probably doesn't realize he is different.

I love that last photo. You can't get anymore relaxed than that.

I agree with Haopee. Size definitely does not matter. I used to be a dog snob and think that small dogs weren't "real" dogs. Now that I've been around so many different types and have a small dog of my own, I know they are all special in their own way.

Melody, Aug 23, 2012
  10. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
  11. Evilsprinkles

I've seen Mastiffs that are terrified of fireworks and thunderstorms, jump up and cower in someone's lap, like they were something a hundred times smaller. It's hilariously ridiculous. Sherlock barks at thunder and fireworks like they're other dogs, where as my larger dog Lily, tries to hide in the smallest places possible. My cat, the smallest lifeform in the house, doesn't care either way, and just sleeps through everything.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
Ask a Question