My poor doggie.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Yesterday I woke up to one of our Bernese Mt dogs whining. I got up immediately and went to see him. I thought maybe he needed to go out so I opened the back door. He only walked a few steps then sat down. He then continued to the back deck and would not go down the stairs to the yard.

Now this guy has had hip surgery., a few years ago so I was thinking maybe he had to really "go" but was afraid of the ice and snow on the steps. So, being who I am , his momma, I got dressed and got the leash to walk him to the front yard where the steps are clear of ice and snow. He happily went with me, did his business and we came back inside.

He continued to whine, so I called my husband at work to see how he was with him in the morning before he left for work. He was acting fine then apparently.

Now, at this point he wont lie down, all he is doing is panting and whining. Now I am scared. So, I call the vet and the soonest they can see him is Monday morning. Now we live three hours away from no where, that is the only vet and it is about an hour away. So, I make the apt and just be with him and hope I can help him relax a bit.

Meanwhile I am worried because we had a dog who died quickly from fluid in his lungs and at the time he would not lay down, only stand. So, you can see my worry.

Fast forward to last night. He slept great, no whining and acted like he always does. Happy and comfortable. And talking our ear off in the evening.

Today, we wake up, he is a bit whiny. Not real bad, but I can tell he is uncomfortable. He is laying down, sitting walking fine. Eating fine too. No visible limping or other noticeable problems.

So, now I wait until Monday morning. I am wondering if maybe he is possibly dealing with arthritis or pain in his hips from his surgery a few years ago since it is cold out this time of year.

Hopefully on Monday I will report back and our Jethro will be fine. I will keep you all posted as I know you are all dog lovers and know what I am feeling.

jowjo5, Mar 2, 2013
  2. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, I hope everything will be alright! It must be heartbreaking to see that he isn't feeling well, I would be worrying too:( . The most important thing is that he eats. When dogs are really ill, they usually don't eat. Keep us posted!

claudine, Mar 3, 2013
  3. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

So far he is doing much better. Has stopped whining and is walking, eating and drinking just fine.
    His personality is just like always. I have to wonder if in his older age he is feeling his joints are a bit achy in the winter months. Right now as I write he is laying down in front of the wood stove and sleeping and a bit of snoring to go with it. He is happy and content today.
    Will keep you all posted. Love my dog : )

jowjo5, Mar 4, 2013
  4. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to hear it:D . I was worrying. Thinking about dogs who are ill or who suffer is just so heartbreaking. It must be a great relief for you do see he is doing better:D

claudine, Mar 4, 2013
  5. jowjo5

trishgl Well-Known Member

I hope your dog is better. Does he have his own bed? Our dog use to sleep on the large pillows we have on the living room floor. Since our chow grew bigger though she could no longer use it and we noticed she would be whiney whenever it was cold. We have tiled floors so it was probably to cold for her when she wanted to lay down. When we got her a bed to sleep on she stopped whining whenever the weather turned cold.

trishgl, Mar 27, 2013
Ask a Question