My hands are full...when do you say no more?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My son has struck again. He has brought me home another pup but I can't manage it. My hands are full with the three I already have. He knows this but like me he has a problem saying no. A girl he knows asked him to take the dog away and not bring it back.

The poor thing is buried in ticks and fleas and I am just through cleaning up my three. Now I fear them being reinfected. I've never dealt with a shelter except when I had to put one of my dogs down. While I know I can't handle another, I'd hate for anything bad to happen to her. I have started treating her myself but I know she needs the vet. I also fear what that can end up costing me. Should I just take her to a shelter? I am confuse and feel it's time to say no more.

IMG_20150314_225046.jpg When she arrived. She looks much better one day later.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Winterybella, Mar 15, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

This is a tough one? Does she have any other health issue apart from the fact she has a lot fleas and ticks? If not, well, you can easily treat her with a treatment for that, and hopefully find he a home later? I have no idea what shelters are like over there, but in the US many dogs end up being put down... quite quick. So no idea about that one.

Trellum, Mar 16, 2015
  3. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Poor little thing, I feel very sorry for her! She looks so sad. I'd adopt her myself if I could. Please, don't take her to a shelter. I'm sure she dreams about having a loving and caring owner. Maybe one of your neighbors or friends could adopt her?

claudine, Mar 16, 2015
  4. Winterybella

I called the shelter. They said they don't put them down just like that. It has to be a request and that's not what they are there for. I pay them to take her and they wait for someone to come and adopt her. Honestly, I am thinking that's a last resort, and I don't think I could pull it off. She has already taken over the house. She seems healthy for the most part and very alive and happy today. She is behaving like she is the new Queen of the Castle. Right now she is the most active in the house.

Today she is super happy. She has already started to grow on me. I don't think I will take her to the shelter. Actually, I know I won't. I've been asking some friends but all so far say they can't handle another pet. I will keep looking but already I am getting attached. I am calling her Ginger. IMG_20150316_224209.jpg

Winterybella, Mar 17, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  5. Winterybella

Aw, she sounds like such a sweetheart! Is she some kind of schnauzer mix? She reminds me a bit of my little girl when she was a puppy, she was so lovely! She had the same little face! Her beard was just starting to show a bit, hehehe! Now she has a mighty long beard :p anyways, best of luck with your girl, it's great to hear you won't be calling the shelter :)

Trellum, Mar 17, 2015
  6. Winterybella

I'm so, so happy to hear it!:D I heard terrible stories about shelters. Many animals there are lonely and unhappy.
    Ginger is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen, I love her coat colors!

claudine, Mar 17, 2015
  7. Winterybella

I would love to know out of curiosity what breed she is. I am here at work praying she has not destroyed my room although I don't think she's that destructive but she likes to bite. I feel like I have to go back to basics to train her. She missed the spot for pooping this morning:oops:. My hands are full but she makes me smile watching her navigate around the house. I like the Bull dog ugly look as well.

I reckon there are a lot of lonely animals at the shelters. I thought of going to check a cat then a dog arrived. I think I need to leave work and go and check her. I separated them today. I am still scared about the ticks and fleas. She seems to be cleaning up nicely. I tread the idea of four infected dogs.

Winterybella, Mar 17, 2015
  8. Winterybella

wahmed Active Member

Awww, poor babu. Thats the thing with us pet lovers. We never know when to say no. I love my pets and I look at their sad fa es and cant say no. Call up centers and read reviews see what they say. Then perhaps make a decision.

wahmed, Mar 17, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella - four infected dogs would be a big problem:( My vet recommended me a dog collar that repels all insects. It works better than anything. In the past, we used to buy Frontline, but it was a waste of money.
    Wahmed - that's so true, we definitely don't know when to say no;) If I didn't live in a rented apartment, I'd adopt many dogs:)

claudine, Mar 17, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Maybe a close up would help ;) When she is big enough you will surely know :) I have a hard time to really tell what kind of breed a dog is when they're small, but it becomes so clear once they grow up. But if I had to guess, I'd guess your girl has some schnauzer in her :) I can see she will have a light beard :D The pattern in her coat, specially around her back legs reminds me of my girls when she was little too, LOL, she lied on the bed just like that when she arrived :p She seemed so bored!

Trellum, Mar 18, 2015
  11. Winterybella

As much work as she is giving me, she is making me laugh so much:). First the look is so new to me and then she has just taken over the entire house. You would think she pays the bills.:)My son and I never know for sure how my husband will respond to the additions and naturally we don't want divisions in the household over any of the pets so as with the cat, we sneaked the dog in and gradually introduce her. Then we say we are trying to find a home for the pet. Then the pet grows on him and it then becomes hard for all of to say no to the little one.

Yesterday my husband told me he knew what we were up to and he honestly had it all worked out. FOR NOW I can tell he likes the dog, but keeps asking me what breed it is. I am curious because I have never had any like her and more importantly I want to know what characteristics I should expect. Already I see tons of energy and quick comprehension of commands. Two days in and I feel like she is already responding to her name. The one thing I have my eyes on is that she might be a biter and I've never had a problem with that from the other dogs.

Day four and it's not looking like she wants to go.:)

Winterybella, Mar 18, 2015
  12. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am late on the scene, but this was how you got Ginger! She looks like a Ginger for sure, and she is cute. I am glad things worked out for you all and that Ginger found a happy home.

IcyBC, Oct 1, 2015
  13. Winterybella

IMG_20150423_093118 (1).jpg Six months down the road. Does she look as though she's going anywhere? Far from it she has taken control of the house except for my little Remy gives her a growl and tells her know she needs to stand down.

Winterybella, Oct 7, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  14. Winterybella

Awww, this is one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen!:D They look so, so cute together! I wish my Homer had a friend like that. It's such a pity he hates other dogs:(

claudine, Oct 18, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Those two are like Bud and Lou if that's the right analogy. Sometimes they fight and then before you know it they are back up in each other.Like I said in another thread, she's getting better in some areas. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and smile at her behaviour.

Winterybella, Oct 22, 2015
Ask a Question