My German Shepherd

Discussion in 'Meet My Dog' started by Cathy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Meet my German Shepherd - Skye. She's four years old and an absolute sweetheart. I've had her since 8 weeks and I drove 4 hours to collect her from a great family breeder. She has a superb temperement but is quite needy and can be a little overprotective. She's very gentle though and she comes with us everywhere - even into work.

Here she is in the snow!
    [​IMG]

Cathy, Feb 4, 2012
  2. Cathy

zararina Well-Known Member

Wow! She does not look cold at all. Lol
    She looks healthy and happy. Nice to see you here Skye. ;)

zararina, Feb 5, 2012
  3. Cathy

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's a great looking dog. If you are looking for a dog that you can train easily, you couldn't have made a better choice. It's not a coincidence that German Shepherds are used by police and military forces all over the world. Here's a German Shepherd at work:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 5, 2012
  4. Cathy

King Browny Well-Known Member

Oh, so she’s a constant companion. She looks soft, really, both in her looks and disposition. But she’s a German Shepherd so there’s no wonder she’s overprotective. How does she fair in travels?

King Browny, Feb 7, 2012
  5. Cathy

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

She's very beautiful! I had a German Shepard/Labrador mix when I was younger she was the best dog I ever had!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 8, 2012
  6. Cathy

jenna Member

I really like German Shepherds -- they are one of my favorite breeds. Did your dog look more like a German Shepherd or Lab? My first dog was a German Shepherd / Labrador mix. She was very intelligent and protective. I still miss my crazy dog.

jenna, Feb 25, 2012
  7. Cathy

jenna Member

Very nice German Shepherd. I love the photo.

jenna, Feb 25, 2012
  8. Cathy

She was black and looked more like a Lab. She was so easy to house break and I never had any trouble with her. She got very old and one day I let her out and when I went to let her back in a while later she had passed away in the yard. I was young and so upset. I remember thinking that I should have let her in sooner so she wouldn't have been alone.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 25, 2012
  9. Cathy

My uncle used to breed German Shepherds. They were very expensive to upkeep. I had always wanted to get one but never got round to it. I closest I got to owning a dog that size is a Dobermann.

Victor Leigh, Feb 25, 2012
  10. Cathy

Yorkie78 Member

She is gorgeous. I have a Rott/Akita/German Shepherd mix. His name is Kasey. He is the biggest, sweetest, protective dog EVER! He has the body and coloring of a Rottweiler and the head of a German Shepherd. He is very protective of me. And his bark is very intimidating. I don't think anyone would even try breaking in to my house after hearing his bark! Is your girl smart and/or easily trained?

Yorkie78, Feb 25, 2012
  11. Cathy

summerRain Well-Known Member

I haven't tried raising large dog but I really want to own one. I am considering German Shepherd or a medium size dog like Siberian Husky so that I can have a nice buddy whenever I jog during the morning.

summerRain, Feb 26, 2012
  12. Cathy

Just a word of caution about the Siberian Husky. From what I have read about the breed, it's not a dog for everyone. Siberian Huskies are very independent-minded and need strong owners to keep them in line. Also they need a lot of exercise to keep healthy.

If you want a big dog that's easy to look after, consider a Golden Retriever. Like this one:
    [​IMG]

Isn't it simply adorable?

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
    King Browny and summerRain like this.
  13. Cathy

summerRain Well-Known Member

Yes it is! What a cute fluffy huge puppy! I am sure Golden Retrievers are loyal breeds and thanks for the information about Siberian Huskies. :)

summerRain, Feb 27, 2012
  14. Cathy

Here's an adult Golden showing how friendly it is:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 28, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  15. Cathy

I agree about huskies! My daughter just got one and thought puppy is quite the handful! She is so stubborn and my daughter is having a difficult time getting her housebroken. I am supposed to puppy sit for her this weekend and I have to say I am NOT looking forward to it at all and I love puppies! LOL

SheWolfSilver, Feb 28, 2012
  16. Cathy

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

She is a really cute and precious dog. So warm looking, and strong. I know you are enjoying this sweet baby in your life. I love dogs so much, and the picture is great.

wahcashmom, Mar 1, 2012
  17. Cathy

Sounds like you have two choices. One, send the husky to a reliable dog training school. Or two, send your daughter to military-style training camp. She might come back with enough alpha-maleness to handle the husky. Oh, yes, you have a third choice, too. See if you can go back to where you bought the husky and get it swapped for, say, a Golden Retriever.

Victor Leigh, Mar 2, 2012
  18. Cathy

LOL! Well, the husky arrived today and it's already a pain in my butt! It was outside today for at least two hours and then came right in and proceeded to pee in my floor! I snatched it up told it no and stuck it back outside! It's the most hyper dog I have come across! Can dogs have ADHD?

SheWolfSilver, Mar 3, 2012
  19. Cathy

Now to see whether you end up training the husky or the husky end up training you. Maybe you should look at it as a challenge. Not to your sense of belonging on an elevated position on the scale of higher intelligence but rather as a challenge to strength of your love versus your patience.

Victor Leigh, Mar 3, 2012
Ask a Question