My dog's a lawn mower

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Just when I thought Ginger could find nothing more to eat, she's taken to eating the grass. I can only be a little light hearted about it because I did some reading and it suggested I not worry. About two days ago I offered Ginger a treat and the dog did not budge. I could not believe my eyes. She never refused anything before. Then I found she looked lazy and disinterested with everything, something I have never seen before. Then she vomited and there was nothing but grass. A few hours later she was back to her old self.

I guess I made the mistake of leaving her outside for too long and again she's having the problem. It's a little unsettling, but I was told it's normal for some dogs and read of a dog who did it every day for many years. When the diet was changed to include much more fiber, the grass eating and vomiting stopped. Has anyone experienced this? It's all new to me and I never thought this could happen, but I miss Ginger being her crazy annoying self.

Winterybella, Aug 28, 2015
  2. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone did the same thing when he was younger, and not as much now! He ate dried leaves, sticks and grass, and vomitted too. Now, he still eat one or two leaves if they flew by him.

I was also told that it is normal for some dogs to behave this way, but vomitting in the house is not a thing I can tolerate! It made me vomit too :(

IcyBC, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Maybe there was something in the grass that made her sick? If she ate grass from the street, then odds are the grass was contaminated with something. I am glad things turned out well for your Ginger though :) Glad she didn't had to go to see the vet.

Trellum, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Well I have to tell you, the vomiting calls for a lot of courage and these dogs have me good. I thought I was the most scornful person and still am to some extent, but the things these dogs have put me through, I think I could be a full time maid. Sometimes it feels like I am their maid . This thing is worrying me with Ginger. She is looking unwell and generally very lethargic again.

Trellum, the grass is from around my area and we never use any sprays out there. I think she's eaten too much but I am starting to get worried again. She was back to herself for about 12 hrs and then she went out and came back looking lazy and not eating again. I am going to attend to her now. She might need the vet after all. I will let you know how she progresses.

Winterybella, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I hope nothing is serious with Ginger @Winterybella ! Dogs are like children and when they are not well, causing concern and worry for us just as well.

Maybe her stomach is not strong enough to eat and vomit like that. Do keep us in touch!

IcyBC, Aug 30, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Be careful, you never know what other people might have poured into that grass. Plus a lot dogs poo and pee around those areas, you never know what kind of disease your dog can get if she eats something that has been contaminated with the feces of a sick dog. Be careful and I hope she gets better!

Trellum, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

I think she'll be fine, she just ate too much grass.
    My Homer loves grass too, but he has never vomited after eating it. I guess his stomach is strong;)

claudine, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Winterybella

Well I THINK she is fine. She was back to her old self yesterday and made up for the time she put quite a scare in me. I said I think because this morning she's looking a little lazy again. I am hoping I did not leave her outside for too long yesterday. I was not watching here but when she came back inside she seemed fine. She was my old Ginger, causing fights and generally being her annoyingly loving self. I kept remarking " Ginger is back" so hopefully she is fine. I'll be keeping an eye on her and my husband tells me it's nothing to worry about.

Winterybella, Aug 31, 2015
Ask a Question