My dog keeps losing weight-what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Nick87, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dog is already a really skinny dog, but lately he's been losing more weight. He's been eating the same amount of food if not more and having the same amount of exercise as usual. He doesn't seem to be sick, his energy levels are the same. Is it possible for dogs to have some digestion problem where they don't absorb nutrients enough?

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  2. Nick87

mustangsaguaro Member

I would take your dog to the vet. It could be a number of different things going on and your vet can draw blood if need be to check certain things. Is your dog a older dog? Yes, dogs could have digestion problems. What are you currently feeding and what breed of dog do you have?

mustangsaguaro, Dec 2, 2011
  3. Nick87

MakingCents Well-Known Member

This can often happen if a dog develops hyper-thyroidism. It means that no matter what a dog eats his metabolism kicks into overdrive and he appears to always lose weight and always want to eat. Obviously I'm not a doctor so I have no idea if that's what is wrong but it's a possibility.

MakingCents, Dec 3, 2011
  4. Nick87

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I agree that you're dog needs to go to the vet. In addition to hyperthyroidism, it could also be diabetes or cancer--or it could be as minor as your dog being on a dog food that can't support his nutritional needs. You need to rule out any potential physical problems before moving on to other possibilities.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 8, 2011
  5. Nick87

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Take your dog to the vet immediately. Don't waste time trying to guess what's wrong. Your dog may run out of life before you run out of guesses.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  6. Nick87

So have you taken the dog to the vet? Do you have an update for us? I sure hope your dog is feeling better!

MakingCents, Dec 13, 2011
  7. Nick87

zararina Well-Known Member

I do hope that your dog was better now.:)
    Hope you could give us some update if what might had caused it and how it was solved. Thanks.

zararina, Dec 13, 2011
  8. Nick87

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Take the dog to the Vet, sounds like something could be really wrong. Once you do, please give us a update to let us know how your dog is doing. Hope all goes well, good luck!

wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011
  9. Nick87

So what happened? Please don't keep us in suspense. I hope it's not bad news that's keeping us in the dark.

Victor Leigh, Dec 14, 2011
  10. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Everything is going fine with him now, he just needed an increased level of food. He's not very old (only about 2) and was eating the recommended amount for his size and weight, but it just wasn't enough because his activity levels increased when we got a new dog within the past few months. The vet checked him and didn't find any worms or other problems, and since we began feeding him more each meal he's started to gain the weight back. He's now doing fine.

Nick87, Dec 20, 2011
  11. Nick87

I am so glad to hear that your pup is ok! I guess if he's using a lot of energy it's going to require an increase in food. So glad it's not something worse than that :)

MakingCents, Dec 21, 2011
  12. Nick87

Really glad to know that your dog is back in good health. Now don't go to the other extreme and over-feed it. An over-weight dog has got health problems just as an under-weight dog would.

Victor Leigh, Dec 21, 2011
  13. Nick87

King Browny Well-Known Member

Great! It’s good to know that he’s doing fine now. Dogs are like humans anyways. I have a friend who even though she’s active, taking vitamins and eating healthy she’s still thin. Then she found out she has ulcer and a chest problem. I think same thing happen with dogs. The only difference is that they won’t tell you that they feel pain or they needed something more. They’ll just let it show.

King Browny, Dec 23, 2011
  14. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

That's very true. My Aunt's mother's dog was so overweight it looked more like a bear.

Nick87, Dec 30, 2011
  15. Nick87

I think my grandfathers dog could roll easier than he could walk. They SOOOO overfeed him. We've tried hard to get my grandfather tos STOP feeding him so much but he won't listen. Sometimes he can't rememer if he's fed him a meal or not yet so he jsut feeds him again

MakingCents, Dec 30, 2011
  16. Nick87

King Browny Well-Known Member

And I bet your grandfather’s dog won’t say No to the meal. Doesn’t the dog feel stuffed to turn his back to the food?

King Browny, Dec 30, 2011
  17. Nick87

Nick87 Well-Known Member

There are dogs that have a tendency to over eat, especially labs. They won't refuse another meal if it's offered.

Nick87, Dec 30, 2011
  18. Nick87

I hope your aunt's dog don't look anything like this:

[​IMG]

That is really overweight.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  19. Nick87

amy005 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your dog is doing good now. I was going to suggest that you bring him to the vet since usually losing weight is something that needs to be looked at

amy005, Jan 3, 2012
  20. Nick87

wow that is a HUGE dog. My grandfathers dog isn't that bad. But to answer the other questions, no, if the food is there he eats it, weather he is full or not!

MakingCents, Jan 4, 2012
Ask a Question