My dog has bad breath, any solutions?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by D0gBite, Sep 19, 2014.

1. D0gBite

D0gBite New Member

Hi guys, I'm looking for an effective oral care for my dog who has bad breath. Any suggestions?

D0gBite, Sep 19, 2014
  2. D0gBite

claudine Well-Known Member

To answer your question, we need more information:) How old is your dog? Has he always had bad breath or just recently? What do you feed him?
    I buy my Yorkie doggy mints. He loves them. They really work. You can buy them for a reasonable price in any pet store:)

claudine, Sep 21, 2014
  3. D0gBite

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, those chewing sticks they sell are really good at cleaning their teeth, but the best option is to buy him a doggy toothbrush and brush his teeth or pay someone to do it.

Trellum, Sep 21, 2014
  4. D0gBite

D0gBite New Member

It's on and off actually. I have a rottweiler and 5 yo. Thanks for the product tip. Someone suggested some product as well will let you know about it. Thanks again

D0gBite, Sep 22, 2014
  5. D0gBite

Keep us posted:) I hope you'll find a way to solve this problem. My little Yorkie's breath doesn't smell like roses, but it's not bad either. He loves chewing dog mints, so I give him one once a week. They help remove tartar, too.

claudine, Sep 25, 2014
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  6. D0gBite

D0gBite New Member

that's cute--- roses. ;) The product by the way is called Oxyfresh. Will get more info and post it here.

D0gBite, Sep 29, 2014
  7. D0gBite

Does it work? I saw Oxyfresh in a pet store in my area, but I haven't bought it yet, because I'd like to read you review first:) Does your Rottweiler like this product?

claudine, Mar 6, 2015
  8. D0gBite

Mel Member

My dog has bad breath every now and then too.. I have tried numerous times to brush his teeth but he squirms and tries to get away like there's no tomorrow. I'm going to investigate these 'doggy' mints that Claudine suggested. I purchased a spray from Petco that is supposed to be beneficial in controlling breathe but i realized after purchasing that it is basically just human Listerine spray.. I.e. not helpful & mostly superficial. I am going to return the spray to the store but when I am there I will look for those doggy mints. Thanks! :)

Mel, May 17, 2015
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  9. D0gBite

I hope you'll find them:) My Homer loves doggy mints, so they make the perfect treat:) I wouldn't dare to try to brush his teeth. If I did, I'm sure he'd just bite me, run away with the toothbrush and destroy it;)

claudine, May 18, 2015
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  10. D0gBite

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When Capone has bad breath, I just give him some chocolate mint leaves to chew on, and he loves them too. It takes care of his bad breath very well.

IcyBC, Aug 5, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  11. D0gBite

This sounds like a great idea, IcyBC! I'm surprised I never thought of that. We grow chocolate mint, I hope Homer will like chewing on it:)

claudine, Aug 5, 2015
  12. D0gBite

Tomi Active Member

Brushing your dog's teeth should take care of that. You might have to find a way to do that without him squirming out of your arms. I hope that helps.

Tomi, Sep 2, 2015
  13. D0gBite

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I don't see that around here. I must check it out. Zola is the one whose breath concerns me. Some months back she found her way in my bag and took out some mints. I don't even remember if I scolded her but she often needs them. I have toothpaste and toothbrush for her but I can't get it done and she is not cooperative the few times I have tried.

Winterybella, Sep 3, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. D0gBite

Tomi Active Member

Looks like doggy mints will help you with this. I hope they are available in your area. Most dogs I know have to be coerced to get their teeth brushed.

Tomi, Sep 3, 2015
  15. D0gBite

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Regular mint will work too, or give her something to chew on! I was told that when they chew often it helps with bad breath. I either give Capone rawhide or mint leaves. Since I grow both regular mint and chocolate mint herbs, it is available for me. He loves the chocolate mint though.

IcyBC, Sep 4, 2015
  16. D0gBite

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I won't rule out finding the mint leaves. Because of the forum, I have found out that a lot of things I never knew we had in our country are actually here. Zola is the most loving (Ginger wants to give her run with everything) and she loves to cuddle, but sometimes when she comes to cuddle and she opens her mouth, it takes the "romance" out of everything. I need to fix that and then she will be perfect as Ginger has now taken over as the greediest dog. Before Ginger came that was Zola's main flaw.

Winterybella, Sep 4, 2015
  17. D0gBite

Johanna Well-Known Member

Buy plaque off. From Amazon

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question