My dog eats my cats food

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by amy005, Dec 3, 2011.

1. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

I always put out food for both my dog and my cat but every time my dog ends up going for the cat food instead. I am trying to figure out a way to prevent this from happening. I usually have to put the cat food up where my dog can't get it when my cat is done eating but then my cat cannot get to it until I put it down again later when my cat is hungry again. Any suggestions?

amy005, Dec 3, 2011
  2. amy005

Waddi Member

I used to put my cat food on the stairs, the dog couldnt quite be man enough to eat and stand on the stairs at the same time.

Waddi, Dec 3, 2011
  3. amy005

zararina Well-Known Member

I also put my cat's food on a higher place since my cat is slow eater and my dog might be attempted to eat it. Although I could make them eat together and near each other, there are times that my dog seems to like my cat's food too so better to put it on a higher place.

zararina, Dec 6, 2011
  4. amy005

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I think that cats tend to be 'pickier' eaters so they make their food taste better than dog food. Of course we know dogs will eat anything! My dog used to come RUNNING when we fed the cats, and was food aggressive only when it revolved around the cat food.

MakingCents, Dec 8, 2011
  5. amy005

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Why not take the easy way out? Just feed your dog with cat food, too. I think dogs can live very well on cat food.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  6. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

Yes I suppose you are all right. I will just have to continue putting it up so my dog cannot get to it lol. It gets a bit annoying having to monitor the two pets eating schedules since I also have a new born to take care of but I will just have to deal!
    Victor Leigh- That is a good point I have thought of that as well, but the thing is my dogs food is not as small as the cat food so I know my dog eats a lot more of that when he is eating to get food. Cat food bags are also made smaller. We are constantly running out of cat food when the dog is eating the cats food. It ends up costing us a lot more to buy more cat food.

amy005, Dec 15, 2011
  7. amy005

I'm not sure feeding the dog the cat food is a good solution. Dogs and cats are two different beings and I'm sure the foods are formulated for what their specific needs are. I don't think it would hurt the dog to eat the cat food, but he may not get as much nutritional value as he needs.

MakingCents, Dec 16, 2011
  8. amy005

How about doing it the other way round then? Teach your cat to eat dog food. That's assuming dog food is cheaper than cat food.

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  9. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

Haha I have tried that before. My cat refuses to eat all together when I try giving him dog food. I also realized another reason why just putting the cat food on my counter doesn't really work.. My cat ends up jumping up on the counter, and knocks the food down before I can even give it back to him, then he starts begging for more food once again.

amy005, Dec 16, 2011
  10. amy005

Sounds like your cat is in cohorts with your dog then. Maybe they have a secret deal. Something like 'I let you eat my cat food and you give me a a paw with the bigger rats.'

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  11. amy005

King Browny Well-Known Member

Haha! That might be possible, Victor Leigh. But what happens when they run out of house rats?

@Topic:
    They should have the north and south of the kitchen or their feeding area. In the north, give the cat food first while holding the dog food and make sure that your dog won’t get to it before your cat. Now when your cat is on it, go to the south to give your dog his meal.

King Browny, Dec 16, 2011
  12. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

You haven't seen my kitchen! It is too small for that to work. It is an eat in kitchen.. so there is really only one place for their food to go. But I will just have to start feeding them separately wait til my dog is done eating his food and then give my cat his.. or even do it in different parts of the house.

amy005, Dec 16, 2011
  13. amy005

Could you feed hte cat in the bathroom, or the laundry room? Or somewhere behind closed doors so the dog can't gain access to the food?

MakingCents, Dec 17, 2011
  14. amy005

King Browny Well-Known Member

It happened with both of my dogs before. My oldest dog Browny would eat Shakira’s meal (when she’s still new in the house). I never knew this at first because usually I would leave them with their meal. Luckily one time I turn to look and found Browny rummaging Shakira’s meal while the latter just look. After then I would watch closely during their meal time to make sure that they concentrate on their own bowl but since I can’t always watch them, I would have Shakira eat in separate location. But the thing is Browny would then hurry on his meal and rush to Shakira’s bowl. After then I would feed Shakira first and while she’s on it I would give Browny’s meal in his feeding area.

King Browny, Dec 17, 2011
  15. amy005

That sounds like a plan. Feeding the cat in the bathroom has the added advantage of teaching the cat to go to the toilet in the bathroom, too. Cats normally have to go after eating. I have trained all my cats to use the bathroom. Saves on a lot of cat litter.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
  16. amy005

summerRain Well-Known Member

I guess the best way is to feed your cat where your dog can't reach it. Your cat will get used to it so don't worry.

summerRain, Dec 17, 2011
  17. amy005

That's a great idea. I can't housebreak my dog, maybe I can teach him to use the toilet! If a cat can learn a dog probably can too lol!

MakingCents, Dec 18, 2011
  18. amy005

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

So does my dog, I think he just does not want my cat to have her food. It is funny, but she lets him do it! Then I have to give her something else, she likes mostly dry food though anyway.

wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  19. amy005

Wait, that's a little bit confusing. So your dog does not let your cat eat the dog's food or your dog does not let your cat eat the cat's food? And who's getting the dry food?

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
  20. amy005

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Cat food tends to have more protein in it because cats need more proteins, so that's why dogs tend to like eating it. Best thing to do is put the cat food somewhere the dog can't get to it, if the dog is a larger dog maybe putting a cat door in a room that the food can be left in can help (that's what I used to have to do when I had a cat and a dog)

Nick87, Dec 20, 2011
Ask a Question