My dog afraid of....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GLow Glow, Jun 24, 2016.

1. GLow Glow

GLow Glow New Member

I have a sweet dog, he's name is Bartley. Every-time I slap my lap he's going to sat on me. One day, my father and I were playing badminton, and Bartley is just sitting on the corner. My father go into him to cuddle but he just run. Then I tried to find him ,Oh! he;s under the chair I tried to reached him using the racket and he run. Oh ! boy, then i found out he's afraid of the racket. maybe he' thinks that I would slap him with racket.

GLow Glow, Jun 24, 2016
  2. GLow Glow

nytegeek Active Member

My dog was afraid of the walker I had to use for a while after a leg surgery and back surgery. He wasn't fond of my cane either. The previous owner had been rough with him, that is part of the reason we have him. Couldn't let him live with an abusive human.

nytegeek, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  3. GLow Glow

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He must had some bad experiences with the racket! You can try to assure him that you won't hurt him with it by leaving the racket laying around so he will investigate it on his own.

My dog is kind of nervous when he sees new things people left in the yard.

IcyBC, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  4. GLow Glow

claudine Well-Known Member

Poor thing! How old is Bartley?
    My dog is scared of the sound of one of our phones. We had to stop using it. In general, he doesn't like loud and high sounds.

claudine, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  5. GLow Glow

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This reminds me of our dog Tisoy who is afraid of bags or boxes. Whenever someone would enter with a big bag, Tisoy would be barking incessantly like he sees an enemy. The same thing with the big box, Tisoy would be restless and barking upon the sight of a big box. I wonder why he acts that way when our 2 other dogs don't mind the bag. Maybe Tisoy had an experience with a bag in his previous life?

Corzhens, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  6. GLow Glow

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am trying to think if any of mine are afraid of anything. The oldest Remy, the mother of Zola, used to be afraid of her shadow if you ask me but now she is a changed 'person'. She and her daughter will bark at the washing machine but I can't say they are afraid of it. They actually run to it to try shut it up.

Some years ago I bought a wooden giraffe and I think one of them was very scared of it. The most they are scared of is my warning voice or fingers when any of them have a deliberate accident in the house.

Winterybella, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  7. GLow Glow

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer hates boxes. I wouldn't say he's scared of them, but he really, really hates them. Same goes for dog transporters. He would never let me put him in one. I think he might be claustrophobic.

Another thing he's scared of is our neighbor's mower.

claudine, Jun 30, 2016
    GLow Glow and Corzhens like this.
  8. GLow Glow

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Jojo is super, super afraid of the vacuum cleaner. If I'm vacuuming downstairs, he will run straight upstairs, or vice versa - if I'm upstairs he will make a speedy beeline for downstairs!

I think it's the noise though - he's not fond of very loud or high pitched things.

amelia88, Jul 1, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  9. GLow Glow

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This reminds me that Barbie hates the sound of motor. There are no mowers around but sometimes the electric company comes with their truck which cuts tree toppings with the use of a chainsaw. Barbie would be restless and what do you know, she would defecate involuntarily. There was a time that I used a blow dryer after bathing her and I was dismayed when she converted my foot into a toilet. That sound of the motor induces her to defecate.

Corzhens, Jul 1, 2016
    GLow Glow likes this.
  10. GLow Glow

cluckeyo Active Member

My dog is terrilby afraid of thunderstorms. She senses them before they even begin. She trembles and breathes rapidly, and stays right next to my hand so that I can hold her. She's always been this way and she is 15 now, so I don't guess this is going to change. She also hates the sound of the little chirp that the smoke alarm makes when it is warning you that you need to change batteries.

cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016
    IcyBC and GLow Glow like this.
  11. GLow Glow

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I thought that Capone would too, but he is getting used to it! I stood by the back door, and he was right by my side when there is thunderstorm. At first, he ran into his kennel, then he saw that nothing happens to me, he came and stood by my side.

Now, he is even getting used to all the big bang of firework :)

IcyBC, Jul 8, 2016
  12. GLow Glow

remnant Well-Known Member

Might be the dog visualised the swinging racket as an offensive weapon. Just like us humans, dogs also have got their phobias and it could be because they don't rationalize in the same way that we do. Once I put on a black mask and approached a dog in the compound. This seemed to agitate him due to the fact that it made him feel unsettled. I also tend to think that dogs have imaginary fears at night since they tend to bark on almost any imaginable moving object.

remnant, Jul 8, 2016
    nytegeek likes this.
  13. GLow Glow

nytegeek Active Member

Our dog has been disliking the doorbell lately. We had to disable it and have people knock instead.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
  14. GLow Glow

Narumiya Member

My mother's dog - a tiny shih tzu named Bubbles - is really scared of fireworks. (I bet most dogs are, actually!) She doesn't know how to go up the stairs since we spoil her and carry her everywhere, but during one Fourth of July celebration, she got so scared of the fireworks that she managed to climb the stairs on her own! We found her hiding underneath my mother and stepdad's bed. Just so she can get away from the noise of the fireworks outside.

Narumiya, Jul 15, 2016
  15. GLow Glow

nytegeek Active Member

People always say that dogs are afraid of fireworks, but there have been several dogs in my life and only one was actually fearful of fireworks. Even she only displayed it to a certain degree. I have never witnessed the severe issues or reactions others describe.

nytegeek, Jul 15, 2016
  16. GLow Glow

mkhtk79 Member

Our one dog is afraid of nothing while the other is afraid of thunder and for some reason feet. We've raised her since she was a puppy so we know no one has ever kicked her or anything like that. But she won't let you touch her with your feet. Weird.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question