My daughter's crazy dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by joycemcgregor, Sep 2, 2015.

1. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregor Active Member

My daughter and grandson live with me and they have a rat terrier. He is not big but he does weigh in at 25lbs and when you pick him up it is like picking up a cinder block. Anyway, to get to the point.. Kipper loves to bark and act vicious. In fact, it is so bad that when someone comes in the house he has to be locked up. But, she has started putting him on a leash and when she does that he acts like a pussy cat! He runs up to people to be petted and loved on and he gives them kisses on their hands. It is like he turns into a completely different dog! Does anyone else have a dog with a 'split peronality'??

joycemcgregor, Sep 2, 2015
  2. joycemcgregor

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone acts very tough and mean when people approached his territory, but once he gets to know them, he is as sweet as candy and only wants to be pet. He is the same way with the leash on, still acting crazy when strange people get to close to the house or to us.

IcyBC, Sep 2, 2015
  3. joycemcgregor

Tomi Active Member

That is certainly one dog who knows how to get his way with humans. Acting all mushy when he is on a leash might be a way of trying to win you over. Funny about his ferocity though!

Tomi, Sep 2, 2015
  4. joycemcgregor

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I can't say any of my dogs have a split personality. They just all have different personalities. The closest to crazy is Ginger, and her crazy makes me smile as she drives me crazy. They told me her wild bark would get easier on the ears...it hasn't.

Winterybella, Sep 3, 2015
  5. joycemcgregor

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have noticed many dogs seem to be on their best side when you walk them out, they love the whole experience so much. At home most dogs feel so frustrated, most dogs prefer to be outdoors :) My girl is super sweet when we are out for a walk, specially when we are in a place where she doesn't have to wear a leash.

Trellum, Sep 3, 2015
  6. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregor Active Member

We just discovered Kipper could behave decently just recently when my daughter started walking him to pick up her son from school. He even will grab someone's pant leg when they start to walk away because he wants to be petted more. My daughter has a friend she meets up where she waits while her son walks the rest of the way to school, and when he starts to walk away, Kipper will actually sit on his feet to try to get him to stay.

joycemcgregor, Sep 4, 2015
  7. joycemcgregor

Tomi Active Member

Looks like all Kipper wants is some good petting and will do anything to have anyone do it. Seems he is not choosy about where he gets his attention too as he likes yout daughter's friend doing it to him too.

Tomi, Sep 4, 2015
  8. joycemcgregor

tajnz Well-Known Member

Woah, I can't say I've heard of another dog with such a split personality. The closest my dog would get would be acting confident and tough, when she's in a car she'll occasionally bark at a dog walking past but if see a dog on the street she'll sit on her hind legs and ask to be picked up ha ha.

tajnz, Sep 12, 2015
  9. joycemcgregor

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, Kipper clearly has a very unique personality;)
    My Homer is always very self-confident, energetic, greedy and courageous. He never changes:)

claudine, Oct 3, 2015
  10. joycemcgregor

Layton Member

That is a really funny story. My puppy Anastasia acts similar. She is such a hyper puppy. When me and my boyfriend are trying to sleep at night she will jump off of the bed and bark at us. She is so hard to potty train. She will not wear a leash. She bites at the leash and tries to play with it. At first I believed that she thought she was the alpha dog, but after reading online that if a dog follows behind you rather than in front of you, I believe that she knows we are in charge.

Layton, Nov 7, 2015
Ask a Question