My 5 lb chihuahua got choked on chicken neck, what can I use to ground her bones & add to raw food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bella Hathaway, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Bella Hathaway

Bella Hathaway New Member

My 5 lb chihuahua got choked on chicken neck, what can I use to ground bones & add to raw meat?

Bella Hathaway, Jun 6, 2015
  2. Bella Hathaway

Trellum Well-Known Member

Maybe you can ask the butcher to grind those bones for you? The butchers here do that :) All you need to do is just ask :D They are willing to do that almost everywhere.

Trellum, Jun 7, 2015
  3. Bella Hathaway

claudine Well-Known Member

As far as I know, dogs shouldn't eat chicken bones:(
    I often buy my Yorkshire Terrier bone-shaped treats. He loves chewing them. I think you can find them in any pet store.

claudine, Jun 8, 2015
  4. Bella Hathaway

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have also read that chicken bones can easily be cracked and have sharp ends that could hurt your dog! I don't give my dog any type of bones because of that fear.

IcyBC, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Bella Hathaway

joycemcgregor Active Member

My vet has always told me not to give a dog any kind of chicken bone or pork chop bones. They tend to splinter easily and cause issues. A chicken neck is composed of many small bones that come apart and can lodge in a small dog's neck so that does not seem like a good thing to give one. My small dog does not get any bones at all.

joycemcgregor, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Bella Hathaway

RichZ New Member

Magnum 1800 is the grinder I use, search around and you can find it for under 200.

RichZ, Nov 1, 2015
  7. Bella Hathaway

lexinonomous Member

As someone said above, you may be able to get the butcher to grind down the bones for you. If they are delicate bones, you may even be able to cut them up yourself with a good knife. I know disassembling a chicken isn't too hard, so long as you have the proper knives. :)

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  8. Bella Hathaway

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have a big problem with this and the other day a bone was stuck in Zola throat. I was terrified. I was a terrible mom because I know full well you shouldn't give them but she kept asking and I felt like it was a safe bone not to mention I hate to see those puppy eyes pleading with me to give her a bone. I have to be more careful.

I am thinking to buy something to do my own grinding which I have read is the safest way to go.

Winterybella, Nov 8, 2015
  9. Bella Hathaway

Oh, no, this sounds terrifying! Is Zola okay now? I hope she's feeling well.
    To be honest, I can't say no to puppy eyes either:( It's just too hard. Homer once choked on a stick, I still remember how scared I was when it happened.

claudine, Nov 10, 2015
  10. Bella Hathaway

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Yes she is fine. I took it out I think. I went into mini panic so it was either me or my son. All I know for sure is that I was scared to death.

Winterybella, Nov 12, 2015
  11. Bella Hathaway

I'm very happy to hear that she's fine!:)
    I can easily imagine how terrified you were, I know I'd be too. When Homer choked on a stick, I almost fainted. There is nothing scarier and more heartbreaking that knowing that your dog is in danger:(

claudine, Nov 17, 2015
Ask a Question