Mutts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Have you ever owned a mutt? A mixed breed dog? I have, and I know a lot people who has. When I was little we had a dog that was a pitbull mix, we weren't sure about the other half tho. She was a really wonderful and amazing dog, she died from old age. Some years later we found a yellow mutt (yes, she was a stray and decided to help her), she was a really beautiful dog as well. Execeptionally sweet!

So I really have no preference for breed or mutt dogs :) I like them both, right now I own a pug and a schnauzer. I love them both to bits! I might own a mutt again in the future if I have the chance :)

What are your thought on mutts in general? Would you own one/have owned one?

Trellum, Oct 23, 2013
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

We have owned several dogs with mixed breeds and some we cannot figure out the exact breeds since it was only given or used to be a stray dog. :)

zararina, Oct 23, 2013
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is my first dog and he is a Yorkie, so no, I've never owned a mixed breed dog. I don't have anything against them though and I wouldn't mind taking care of one:) I think that every dog can be a wonderful friend and it really doesn't matter whether it's a mutt or a purebred.
    I chose a Yokie because I love how sweet they look and I wanted a small dog.

claudine, Oct 26, 2013
  4. Trellum

That's nice Claudine! I wish my first dog was a Yorkie :) I'm just 26, but I've owned several dogs in my life and many of them were mutts. It's really nice of you to say that :) and you're so right! No matter what breed is the dog, it still will be an amazing friend. Actually some of the sweetest dogs I've owned were mutts! Very sensitive! Dogs can sense when you're sad :)

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
  5. Trellum

That's wonderful!!! I've adopted strays in the past! Sometimes they're so mixed they are just mutts, lol. I once owned a very beautiful, slender yellow female dog. She had hazelnut colored eyes, and was naturally skinny! No idea what breed her parents were, I guess most of her ancestors were a mix of a mix of a... you get the idea ;)

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
  6. Trellum

Yes, they definitely can sense it! But I must say that Homer isn't very nice, he usually avoids sad people:confused: And he always runs away and hides if somebody is unhealthy. A month ago or so my father had some health problems and Homer insisted on sleeping in my room. Normally, he prefers to lie near my parents bedroom.

claudine, Nov 16, 2013
  7. Trellum

Woah!!! That's awesome!! I mean there are few dogs out there who are that sensitive to people's bad emotions or disease! Your homer really seems to have a real talent for that and isn't afraid to show it ;) I heard it was also possible to use dogs to detect many diseases, like for example cancer. Not sure how true that is.

Trellum, Nov 16, 2013
  8. Trellum

Yes, he is sensitive, but it's not very nice to see him running away like this. A few years ago my aunt was very sick and she really wanted to spend some time with Homer and to pet him, because she loved him very much, but he kept hiding in other rooms. He seemed to be scared of her. Or maybe of her disease, I'm not sure.

claudine, Nov 17, 2013
  9. Trellum

Wow, your homer has a talent and I feel sorry for your aunt :( Is she ok now? Too bad she didn't get to spend the day with homer petting him, they say that's really terapeutic :) They say that's why is so healthy to have a cat or a dog to pet; it helps you to relax.

Trellum, Nov 20, 2013
  10. Trellum

No, unfortunately my aunt died. I'm pretty sure Homer had been aware of her sickness.
    I totally agree that petting dogs is very relaxing. I wish my little cutie wasn't so scared of people who don't feel well.

claudine, Nov 20, 2013
  11. Trellum

dodgesnose Member

We currently don't have a mutt but early this year, we fostered Sky, he's boxer x collie mix. He's very shy but generally so cute and intelligent dog, we helped on his crate training and he learns fast. Hope to have someone like Sky someday.

dodgesnose, Nov 21, 2013
  12. Trellum

I've never seen a boxer and collie mix. I wonder what does he look like. Did you take any pictures of him? I would love to see them:) I'm sure that he is a very unique and sweet dog.

claudine, Nov 23, 2013
  13. Trellum

I'm sorry for your loss, losing a loved one is always difficult. My granma had a poodle, she was very close to her... she died of cancer. The poodle died a few months after she did. Sometimes I think how strange it must feel for our dogs when their loved one dies, because we all know dogs have a favorite person. I think I'm the favorite one of my schanuzie :) Not sure about my puglet :D:p

Trellum, Nov 24, 2013
  14. Trellum

Thank you. Yes, it was very difficult.
    It always breaks my heart when I hear of dogs whose owners died. They must feel so extremely lonely:( I wonder if they understand what happened. In the beginning, Homer used to run to our aunt's room, he clearly was looking for her. I'm pretty sure he wanted to get more carrots;). She always had kept carrots for him.

claudine, Nov 24, 2013
  15. Trellum

Oh :( poor Homer! Sometimes it really surprises me how dogs can remember that kind of things, sometimes I wonder if they do that out of habit or they actually remember every single thing? I wonder what my dogs will do if I die, I know for sure they'll be a bit worried when I travel. I was thinking about that today! I'll be abroad for a whole month... my dogs will get worried, my cat will surely be like ''meh''.

Trellum, Nov 27, 2013
  16. Trellum

dodgesnose Member

We had it on our previous laptop, unfortunately it crashed and we're not able to retrieve anything. I'll check my sister's email or social accounts, she said there might be some few there she uploaded.

dodgesnose, Nov 28, 2013
  17. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

All my dogs have been mutts and I'm so glad that they were! Terrific dogs - smart, protective, and loving. Couldn't ask for more than that!

firelily99, Dec 2, 2013
  18. Trellum

Awesome :) Congrats on picking mutts over pure breed ones :) I've never been very picky with dogs, since I'm a mixed person myself ;) so getting a mut sounds very logical to me at the end of the day. If you come to think about it... most dogs nowadays are siome sort of mutts, because the ''pure breed'' dogs we see today are a result of a selective mixing of breeds that took a long time.

Trellum, Dec 3, 2013
  19. Trellum

You fostered him? Too bad you couldn't keep it! I've fostered several dogs over the years, it has been both a rewarding and challenging experience, but I'd not change it over anything :) I believe mutts have the best of their ''ancestors''. Some of the sweetest dogs I've ever owned were mutts :) I've very fond memories of them actually!

Trellum, Dec 3, 2013
  20. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Mutts rule! I love all dogs but there is something about the mutt that really captivates me!

firelily99, Dec 5, 2013
Ask a Question